real time web analytics
Report - - Shoreham Cement Works, West Sussex - May 2017 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Shoreham Cement Works, West Sussex - May 2017

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Brewtal

28DL Regular User
Regular User
For my first report I figured I'd put up some older pics of a place that has been well covered, but not posted for a while.

This was a great explore, somewhere I have wanted to see for a long time. The 4.5 hour game of cat and mouse with secca was a lot fun. They have gone to great lengths to stop you getting up top but it was well worth getting covered in engine grease.

Not sure what is happening with the site, there has been a lot of talk about demolition but nothing confirmed. Some very experienced explorers I know tried this one at the start of the year and despite the detailed info I gave them, they only got as far as the fence before getting spotted, despite being pretty well hidden. They may well have stepped things up there.

Some history:

"The site at Shoreham is situated within the Beeding Chalk Pit which has been used since the early nineteenth century. The Beeding Portland Cement Company was founded in 1878 and began cement production at the site in 1883, with a recorded output of 144 tonnes of cement per week. The location of the works was chosen due to the positioning of the River Adur in proximity to the west, allowing the transportation of raw materials to the site (clay, coal, sand and gypsum) by barge.

The facility was expanded by 1902 which included the development of several large kilns and chalk wash mills, bringing production to 800 tonnes per week. Extensive railway links had also been developed across the pit by this time, which extended off site towards the north west and south west. Further infrastructure was developed at the site between 1902 and 1933 however, the works was temporarily shut down for the duration of the Second World War.

The works was completely rebuilt between 1946 and 1952, to accommodate the rising demand for cement after the Second World War, and was re-named the ‘Shoreham Cement Works’. The production part of the works was recorded as comprising a chalk crushing plant, several wash mills, a mixing plant, rotary kilns, coal, gypsum and clinker stores, crushing mills and a number of cement storage silos. This state of the art design provided hundreds of jobs in the local community and was recorded to have a production output of 550 tonnes of cement per day. A number of minor reconfigurations were recorded at the works between 1952 and 1980 to increase production and improve overall efficiency.

Production did not cease until 1991 which was primarily due to the limitations of the old design and the inadequate production in comparison to newer facilities in the area. Additionally, there were concerns relating to the amount of dust that the works was expelling across the surrounding area which posed both environmental and anthropological health risks. Since then the site has been used for various purposes including commercial/industrial storage and as a vehicle repair centre."

6wqLHfrl.jpg

This was my only external taken about 4am. I had planned to get some more when we left but the lovely Mr Secca finally nabbed us as we made our way back outside.

SUzXIIKl.jpg

xPLzwAYl.jpg

G5WM687l.jpg

RsxWSpQl.jpg

RS5Y8xJl.jpg

QBXNdk0l.jpg

ffaGeOjl.jpg

5LXU7QLl.jpg

LVC6C7ql.jpg

hWUh9I0l.jpg

JTF7Dcul.jpg

JXQDSDQl.jpg

4Fambqal.jpg

C0NqGDdl.jpg

fwDfGMUl.jpg

ar4z6oWl.jpg

WyS6a4Hl.jpg

XPbn1mtl.jpg

LKdVHjCl.jpg

WmTB3cLl.jpg

5P0THXcl.jpg

And finally the shot I was looking forward to taking the most...

t0K6noXl.jpg

Thanks for looking!

The Explorer Returns

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Love the report mate, great pics, I live near this place, I go here a lot, (taking other explorers in or even solo) I’ve never been caught in the 15 times I’ve been there until I thought it would be funny to ride my motorbike right in the main gate and let secca chase me in their van awesome stuff mate

paul99

28DL Member
28DL Member
Friends live nearby to this. Passing the place was what got me interested in Urbexing. Always been crawling with people when I go past. :(

Davey89

28DL Member
28DL Member
A friend of mine took me here a couple of years ago, we scoped it out one evening, and then never went back. I'd love an opportunity to actually explore it

WØLF

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
this place holds a special spot in my heart, being semi local, I spent many many hours in this place. It's where I would always go if I was bored. (back when dudmans or secca wernt there)
Just used to stroll in and be left alone.

pigeonboy

Be gentle
28DL Full Member
this place holds a special spot in my heart, being semi local, I spent many many hours in this place. It's where I would always go if I was bored. (back when dudmans or secca wernt there)
Just used to stroll in and be left alone.
Is it still around today?

WØLF

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Is it still around today?
yep it's still there, can't be demolished as it's a SSSI so it would disturb the lesser spotted woodlice or whatever lives there.
It's not like it used to be but still worth a visit if your in the vicinity.

Who has read this thread (Total: 169) View details