real time web analytics
Report - - Shredded Wheat Factory, Welwyn, April 12 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Shredded Wheat Factory, Welwyn, April 12

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Urban Ghost

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
A local one to me, a couple of my mates used to work here. It’s quite sad to see the state this building has got in.
As I'm sure some of you are well aware this site has caused quite a lot of controversy recently, with a certain Trog becoming a bit of a local media star! After seeing this I couldn’t help but go along and see what all the fuss was about.
History:
Designed in 1925 by architect Louis de Soissons the concrete and glass building had been making cereals since 1926. The building was given a grade II listed status in 1981. 1 of the most striking features is the large tubular building at 1 end of the site. The Factory closed its doors for the last time in 2008, Welwyn Garden City hasn’t smelt the same since!

The site is now owned by Tesco who want to turn it into a megastore but this has been met with major protests from locals and a failure to gain planning permission means the place now just sits there derelict.

29b1a27c.jpg

bcc4df6d.jpg

ea189963.jpg

20c5fd2d.jpg

5365cfc5.jpg

25bc2db1.jpg

f4b3cab9.jpg

d55280ef.jpg

5932ee27.jpg

Thanks for looking.