real time web analytics
Report - - Shredded Wheat, Welwyn Garden City - Jan 2017 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Shredded Wheat, Welwyn Garden City - Jan 2017

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

zombizza

Sore Knee
Regular User
A pretty empty shell with not much to see to be honest.
The most interesting thing about this visit was the PIR sensors and cameras inside the building. Wasn't long before we had security hot on our tails. They were often calling to us from a few yards away. I haven't explored a place in these circumstances before but it made a dull place quite interesting.
As a result, all photos were handheld, in a panic, in dimly lit situations.....so not very good.

The original company opened a factory in Welwyn Garden City (UK) in 1926 which became part of Nabisco in 1928.

The tall concrete cereal silos that form part of the factory are a local landmark and are listed structures.The first 18 storage units were completed in 1926 with a further 27 constructed in 1938, in both instances they were built by Peter Lind & Company of London who continue in business today.

In 1988, Nabisco sold the UK site to Rank Hovis McDougall (who made own-label cereals for supermarkets), whose breakfast cereals division briefly became The Shredded Wheat Company.

In 1990, RHM sold the site to Cereal Partners. Now, all Shredded Wheat is made at Staverton near Bath, as the Welwyn Garden City site was shut down in 2008.

DSC_2932developed_zpsbdebxnql.jpg

DSC_2911developed_zpsi6mwrtkw.jpg

DSC_2914developed_zpscpmmm6u5.jpg

DSC_2905developed_zpsqw8nbvw5.jpg

DSC_2863developed_zpskkkdylj6.jpg

DSC_2851developed_zpstc1lbd6w.jpg

DSC_2884developed_zpsizcrgudx.jpg

DSC_2875developed_zpslzzihbfn.jpg

DSC_2818developed_zpshgm5ydvh.jpg

DSC_2833developed_zpssx5fiwrs.jpg

DSC_2830developed_zpsfecbnmdg.jpg

DSC_2872developed_zpsfi6ct5pi.jpg

DSC_2815developed_zpsodefbgsv.jpg

DSC_2821developed_zps46archiz.jpg

DSC_2827developed_zpsjyfnqngu.jpg

DSC_2799developed_zpsmc2fzddg.jpg

DSC_2796developed_zpsfqovxnnr.jpg

DSC_2790developed_zpspjrlrck6.jpg

DSC_2787developed_zpsu7uspcdv.jpg

DSC_2784developed_zpsj2jvczdl.jpg

DSC_2778developed_zpsujfzlaiq.jpg

S

Supersonic

Seems strange to PIR a place like this! Good shots mate :thumb

zombizza

Sore Knee
Regular User
Yes. That was my thought as well. I spose tech like this is so cheap though these days

dave

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Went past here on the train last year and thought i saw the demo men in there surprised its still standing. Amazed about the PIRs also, any thoughts on its future.