real time web analytics
Report - - Slate mines, Morzine, France July 2012 | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Slate mines, Morzine, France July 2012

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

rreK

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hi all, thought you might like a few pictures from the mines I found out in the French Alps. Just a short one with a few pictures, as I need to return on a proper photo mission.

The town I lived in was called Morzine. It is part of the Portes du Soleil ski/mtb area. I found out last summer that it was originally a small mining town, exporting a surprisingly large amount of slate. There are remnants everywhere once you start looking, and I'm sure when I go back I'll be able to find some much cooler stuff to visit. I've already spied a big shed full of ancient mining carts from the road.

Anyhow hope you enjoy:

Stood looking up the hill, the entrance to a smaller mine is what my friend is looking at. That mine linked round to the bigger shaft next picture down according to locals, but the linking tunnel was fully submerged in beautiful clear water, which I can only assume must be filtering through the rocks. Shows how steep the slope is as well.
IMG_1800.jpg

Biggest entrance. Not sure how stable these mines are, but there was plenty of evidence of collapsing.
IMG_1808-Copy.jpg

The view when we finally reached the biggest mine. The lake you can see is the Lac de Montriond, glacially fed, but amazing for a cool down after a hard days biking!
IMG_1797.jpg

Looking back out.
IMG_1809.jpg

Another one showing the rotten rafters. I'm sure you guys know more than me, but to look at they didn't seem to be doing much, having mostly fallen away from the rock around them. Meaning very unstable I assume.
IMG_1816.jpg

Does anybody know anything about the generator sat at the entrance? What would it have been used for/how old roughly? It wasn't massively rusted, however it was totally out of the rain.

Thanks for looking,

rreK

Last edited: