real time web analytics
Report - - Snowdown Working Men's Club - Nr. Aylesham - August 2012 | Leisure Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Snowdown Working Men's Club - Nr. Aylesham - August 2012

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Urbex13

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
A brief history

I know this one is a bit late but I've just seen the thread asking for them, I'll try to check some more out as soon as the opportunity presents itself.

I stumbled across this site following a fairly disappointing (access-wise) visit to the nearby colliery and thought it would be worth documenting it as I haven't seen a report on it on this site before.

The Snowdown Working Men's Institute was founded for the workers of the nearby colliery, the deepest in the Kent Coalfield and infamous for having some of the worst working conditions of any mine in Britain. The first record I have found of the Institute dates from 1926 and refers to the accounts from the previous year, although it is likely the institute itself was founded shortly after the colliery was opened. The club closed in mid 2009, presumably due to lower custom and rising costs, the second of three working men's clubs in Aylesham to have closed in the past three years. The site has now been sold to developers.

The Pictures

1. A fairly plain and blocky construction, a short walk from Aylesham but almost adjacent to the colliery itself:

_8179699-Edittif.jpg

2. The remains of what I can only assume was a nursery or daycare centre given the amount of toys dotted around a few rooms:

_8179693_4_5_fused-Edittif.jpg

3. Two full sized Riley Snooker tables left to go in the skip:

_8179685-Edittif.jpg

4. The smaller of the two bars:

_8179684-Edittif.jpg

5. And its counterpart on the right:

_8179679_80_81_fused.jpg

6. The stage, complete with wall-paintings and a speaker that had seen better days:

_8179671_2_3_fused-Edittif.jpg

I know this isn't anything special but better recorded than not!

Thirteen.

BAJ

Belgian Anus Jabber
28DL Full Member
You drag and old thread out to ask "who's the best babe?"?

Session9

A life backwards
28DL Full Member
Apart from the bazare 'who's the babe' question, the club is still in situ as of June 2015 as is of course the colliery.

Johnnyquest

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Anyone find out who the babe was? I’m messing, does anyone know if this place is still standing

obscurity

Flaxenation of the G!!!
Regular User
the place has since been completely demolished and the land has been built on for housing.

obscurity

Flaxenation of the G!!!
Regular User
Sha

shame, is that the mine too?

The old colliery buildings are still there. Though I think they have the go ahead for development of those too finally so not sure how much longer they will last.
It's just the working men's club that's long gone, that was separate from the mine