real time web analytics
Report - - Southam Cement Works - 01/04/06 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Southam Cement Works - 01/04/06

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

B

batman

Went to give this place a look yesterday - and I definitey wasn't disappointed. You can see the chimney from about 5 miles away, so I knew I was on the right tracks! Access is easy if you look around (I don't think there is any on site security anyway). There is patchy CCTV coverage. Importantly, be aware that that there is a business operating from one corner of the site (one smallish building, but plastered in CCTV), and the Quarry itself is still operational - just the processing site which is empty.

First thing I came across on the far side of the site are two huge (at least 100 ft diameter) cylindrical water reservoirs.

Once inside the site, camera out and just starting to take pictures when along come a torrential downpour - leaving me appropriately dressed in a t-shirt. :rolleyes: After 10 minutes the sun came out again and dried everywhere up in a few minutes.

The site is huge. :eek: The pictures don't portray the scale at all. I spent a good couple of hours wandering around and only saw half the site, going in only a handful of buildings. Most of the site is absolutely mint as well - no pikeys here! And the power is still on - I was switching lights on and off all over the place. Didn't mess with any of the plant equipment though!

It used to have it's own railway branch, and also an arm off the canal serving it. I need to go back for at least another half a day to see the rest - and I need to climb that suspended conveyor! I've not been to Shoreham, so I can't compare it but I guess they are pretty similar.

Anyway, some pictures:

01_Silos_from_railway_line.jpg

Huge cylindrical water reservoir thingy:

03_large_cylindrical_reservoirs.jpg

Looking up the outside of a silo:

04_silo.jpg

Empty cement bags:

05_cement_bags.jpg

09_yard.jpg

12_chute.jpg

18_conveyor.jpg

23_triangle_building.jpg