real time web analytics
Report - - Ss Peter & Pauls RC Church Newcastle Upon Tyne August 2020 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Ss Peter & Pauls RC Church Newcastle Upon Tyne August 2020

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

MarkusCP87

Undiscovered locations in the UK
28DL Full Member
Having multiple access points the church wasn't to hard to get in.
The Church seems to be the local hangout spot for the kids as they have done some work on smashing the place up.
Place was mostly stripped, however the main hall itself was very nice.
Haven't been past the place a few times I never really had an eye on the place until I was told about it.

Bit of history and description of the Church.

In the he 1950s and 1960s large council housing estates were built here by the City of Newcastle, on former agricultural land. A parish was erected in 1960 to serve this new population and in 1964 the present church was built, from designs by David Brown. In 1965 a new altar was designed by Brown, probably for the Lady Chapel.
The church has ritual east at the northwest. It is an elegant, low-key modern design, externally clad in brick, and with a reinforced concrete internal frame; the roof and spirelet are clad in copper. The ritual west entrance front has projecting eaves over a tall seven-light window with concrete mullions; below the projecting concrete window sill a double door is recessed in projecting jambs. The five-bay nave has tall, narrow windows in similar style, their shallow pointed tops breaking through the eaves. At the ritual southeast, a circular attached baptistery has a shallow copper dome and a row of small clerestory windows. The sanctuary has one tall wide window at each end.
Inside, painted reinforced concrete posts support the shallow principals, the beams turning slightly to form shallow pointed vaults. The sanctuary is raised on two steps and a wide projecting step which forms an extra platform. In 1965 a new altar was designed by David Brown and a statue was to accompany it; this was probably for the Lady Chapel, south of the sanctuary, which has a marble altar. The sanctuary and side chapels have terrazzo floors. Behind the altar is a fine new icon of Christ in Majesty by Sister Petra Clare, a Carmelite nun, replacing a crucifix.

Some pictures of the Church in its glory days.

Now a wreck of what it once was.

IAMDarkside

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
2 mins from my door this place, had a reccy about 6 months ago, couldn't find a way in & loads of camera's around it. Nice one for getting in & report. Was hoping I wouldv'e been the first....grrr hahah

Bikin Glynn

28DL Regular User
Regular User
2 mins from my door this place, had a reccy about 6 months ago, couldn't find a way in & loads of camera's around it. Nice one for getting in & report. Was hoping I wouldv'e been the first....grrr hahah

given that the report is from Aug 20 you would of been far from the first Im afraid!

Who has read this thread (Total: 266) View details