real time web analytics
Report - - SSI Redcar & Southbank Coke Works, Middlesbrough - September 2021 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - SSI Redcar & Southbank Coke Works, Middlesbrough - September 2021

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Terminal Decline

28DL Regular User
Regular User
First of all, apologies for being so quiet recently, I haven’t been particularly productive on the exploring front this year, and I’ve been really poor at churning out reports. It’s about bloody time I got my act together.

History
Redcar Coke Ovens were constructed by Gibbons Wilputte for British Steel, as part of their new Redcar Iron Works, and opened in 1978. It consists of two batteries of 66, 5-meter-high ovens, either side of a twin pair of charging towers. The site produced coke to be used in the blast furnace, a product which was created by baking coal to high temperatures, in the absence of oxygen.
Following privatization of British Steel in 1988, the works changed hands several times, before finally coming into the possession of Thailand-based Sahaviriya Steel Industries (SSI). SSI went bust in dramatic fashion back in October 2015, and the iron works at Redcar, together with their nearby sites at Lackenby and Southbank were closed for good. Demolition of the coke works commenced in late summer of this year, although at the time of my visit only a few of the surrounding structures had been removed.

The Explore
Visited with @ikkdjct, and was later joined by @slayaaaa and @Boba Low.
Due to various setbacks, it was already approaching the end of September by the time I was able to return to Teesside, three months after my previous visit. A lot had changed since then, particularly at Southbank Coke Works - the two charging towers and the chimney had been demolished only a week earlier, which I was gutted to have missed out on. Over at Redcar much more of the conveyor network had disappeared, together with the circular cooling structure of the sinter plant, the quenching towers of the coke ovens, and a whole host of other more minor structures.

During the late afternoon in which we arrived at Teesside, I paid a final visit to catch the sad remains of the battery of Southbank Coke Works. The charging tower of the 70s battery, which had apparently fallen over intact at demolition, was now just a heap of twisted rebar and chunks of concrete, and only around a quarter of the ovens were still standing – two weeks later there was nothing left.

After staying on site until sunset, I headed over to Redcar, and after a few hours of sleep on the sand dunes I headed into the site. My plan was to start on the south eastern side and work my way to the coke works at the opposite end, where I would meet up at ikkdjct. Utilizing the conveyor network to make my way across the site took me much longer than I expected, so it was already late morning by the time I reached ikkdjct.

Despite it being a weekend, there was still some work occurring on site, though mostly limited to the raw materials handling facilities area to the west. Demolition is in the early stages on the coke works, with some of the outer structures being removed, however this at least means all the sensors had gone which made it quite a relaxed explore once we had climbed onto the ovens. We spent the whole afternoon at the site, there was plenty to photograph on the ovens, and a great view from the charging towers. For the first time I'd brought my big 150mm prime lens with me on an explore, which at as site as vast as Redcar, was great for taking detailed photos of the distant structures. By the time it began to get dark we didn't really have the energy to try any other areas of the site, and we made our way out with ease.

Southbank Coke Works
I'd already made several visits to Southbank so I didn't see anything new, but it's always nice to get a few more photos of a structure which will soon be history. I still haven't spent much time looking around the by-products plant, but there wasn't enough time on this occasion, and there were still plenty of sensors on my previous visit.
For a look around the coke works when the site was still quite intact here's a link to my previous report: Southbank Coke Works

_DSC7019.jpg

First up, a general view of the remains of the coke oven battery. The ovens themselves may have gone now, but the by-products plant is still mostly intact.

_DSC7025.jpg

_DSC7060.jpg

The mangled remains of the charging tower of the 1970s battery.

_DSC7062.jpg

Looking towards the by-products plant at sunset.

_DSC8046.jpg

Looking towards the BOS plant from South Bank Station footbridge two weeks later. The pile of concrete on the left is the remains of the charging tower which bore the Dorman Long name.

_DSC8042.jpg

The wreckage of the Dorman Long tower. A campaign to get the building listed was successful... ...for barely a week, when the new culture secretary decided Teesside wasn't enough of a shithole already and revoked the listed status. Luckily for Teesworks, the demolition team had still been carrying out preparation while the tower was supposedly protected, meaning it could swiftly be brought down just days after the structure had been de-listed, before anyone changed their mind.

_DSC7985.jpg

The gas holder and by-products plant.

Redcar Coke Works

_DSC5689.jpg

The coke works from the distant sand dunes, back in June, the pipework belongs to the by-products plant.

_DSC5637.jpg

_DSC7100.jpg

Redcar Iron Works from Redcar Beach.

_DSC7134.jpg

Once in the site I headed up to the blast furnace stock house to grab some shots of the blast furnace with my long lens, the view really was superb, but the structure it was taken from has now been demolished.

_DSC7139.jpg

_DSC7150.jpg

Redcar Coke Works at sunrise.

_DSC7158.jpg

Inside a filthy conveyor tower.

_DSC7168.jpg

One of the upper floors of the conveyor tower.

_DSC7184.jpg

The yellow machines shown here are the coke guide cars, used to remove the oven doors and direct the coke into the wagons.

_DSC7199.jpg

_DSC7205.jpg

Coke ovens on the left and by-products to the right.

_DSC7213.jpg

The twin charging towers and chimneys at the centre of the coke ovens.

_DSC7328.jpg

The view over part of the by-products plant from the charging tower.

_DSC7332.jpg

Looking the other way towards the blast furnace.

_DSC7339.jpg

The western battery.

_DSC7348.jpg

Looking towards Able Docks, showing Brent Alpha, together with some fresh rigs from Loggs Gas Field, and Hartlepool Nuclear Power Station.

_DSC7355.jpg

The operational area of the raw materials handling plant, now called Redcar Bulk Terminal, with the mass of Seal Sands Refinery behind.

_DSC7389.jpg

Detail of the by-products plant.

_DSC7390.jpg

_DSC7426.jpg

_DSC7398.jpg

Redcar Sinter Plant. Report here: Redcar Sinter Plant

_DSC7396.jpg

Redcar Blast Furnace.

_DSC7422.jpg

The east charging tower offered a fantastic view over the whole Redcar site.

Last edited:

Terminal Decline

28DL Regular User
Regular User
_DSC7232.jpg

Heading back down to the top of the ovens.

_DSC7275.jpg

_DSC7258.jpg

Coal would be dropped into the ovens through the circular plates in the floor by one of the charging cars.

_DSC7280.jpg

_DSC7288.jpg

One of the three charging cars.

_DSC7227.jpg

Underneath a charging car, showing the hoppers which would dispense coal into the ovens.

_DSC7458.jpg

Charging car control cabin.

_DSC7435.jpg

_DSC7436-2.jpg

Looking into the bowels of the ovens.

_DSC7464.jpg

_DSC7483.jpg

_DSC7491.jpg

The site has two large gas holders, the one on the left was used to store gas from the coke ovens, and the one to the right stored blast furnace gas. Between the two is the blast furnace.

_DSC7493.jpg

_DSC7499.jpg

The charging towers.

_DSC7510.jpg

Oven door repair workshop.

_DSC7517.jpg

Oven doors.

_DSC7520.jpg

On the other side is the last remaining pusher car.

_DSC7524.jpg

_DSC7531.jpg

_DSC7539.jpg

The raw materials handling plant. Most of this has now been demolished.

_DSC7550.jpg

_DSC7556.jpg

_DSC7561.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:

KPUrban_

Surprisingly Unsurprising
Regular User
Pure industrial goodness right there.

The prime lens images are fantastic.

Demolition seems to be eating through it at some pace.

Last edited:

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Great set, very impressive. Liking the 150mm shots a lot. I must admit, I always take my zoom lens, but forget to change lens. This shows why I must & should remember. Quality shots there. Shame its being demo`d so quickly.:thumb

stranton

subterranean explorer
Regular User
I was at SSI between October 2015 & January 2016, which i've a lot of fond memories.
it's such a shame to see it all being demo'd, but invitable.

very nice report & photographs

Terminal Decline

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Shots from the 150mm are awesome. I dread to think what that set you back.
Great set, very impressive. Liking the 150mm shots a lot. I must admit, I always take my zoom lens, but forget to change lens. This shows why I must & should remember.
Thank you, I'm very glad I brought it with me, the detail you can get is superb. It would be nice to use it a bit more often, but it's a big thing to lug around all day, especially when at most sites you'd only need it for a couple of shots, then swapping lens in a filthy environment isn't really ideal. I purchased it second hand at quite a good price, but I've yet to get much use out of it, so it would be a shame to damage it just yet.