real time web analytics
Report - - St. Augustine's Church, Bristol, UK. February 2014. | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - St. Augustine's Church, Bristol, UK. February 2014.

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Darmon_Richter

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Some of you might recognise this one – the old St. Augustine Church in Whitchurch, Bristol.

It was built from 1971-72, as a Church of England church... it sounds like the builders didn't do such a great job though, as only 14 years later the 80-foot tower attached to the site was deemed unstable and had to be dismantled. The church itself didn't last much longer. By 2000 there was talk of demolishing the building, and in 2007 it finally closed its doors to the local congregation.

I was passing by back in February, at which point demolition was already in full swing. Most of the outer buildings had already been destroyed, and only the central hall of the church was still standing.

I waited till dark, then hopped the fence at the back. As you can see from the images below, the place was a total wreck. I got a few worthwhile shots though, so it wasn't a completely wasted trip.

I've written more about the history of this place as part of a compilation article on my site. If you want to read more, it's here: Five Abandoned Churches & A Cellar Full of Skulls

Cheers people, and enjoy your Christmas hangovers. :)

Augustine-1-DR_zpsa3e03b1f.jpg

Augustine-2-DR_zps03e5fc86.jpg

Augustine-3-DR_zps05bbf7d5.jpg

Augustine-4-DR_zps49d6cdb3.jpg

Augustine-5-DR_zps123747b5.jpg

Augustine-6-DR_zpse081bc2d.jpg

WhoDaresWins

Let's do this
Regular User
This was stunning before it was pulled down. Pews, hymn sheets in place and a really nice organ as well.

Darmon_Richter

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I never got the chance for a daytime visit, sadly... the demolition crew were already at work by the time I saw it. Still, glad I got in there for a quick look around before the end.