real time web analytics
Report - - St. Augustine's Lunatic Asylum, Kent. July 2015 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - St. Augustine's Lunatic Asylum, Kent. July 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Explorerr101

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Here is some history I've lifted from Wikipedia,

St Augustine’s Hospital
(1875–1993) was a psychiatric hospital in Chartham, Kent. It was founded as the second, or East, Kent County Asylum in 1872. In 1948 the hospital became part of the National Health Service and was renamed St Augustine's Hospital. The hospital gained notoriety in the 1970s when it was the subject of a committee of inquiry into malpractice and mismanagement. St Augustine's Hospital closed in 1993 as part of the community care programme and the site is now occupied by housing, although a few of the original hospital buildings remain.

Upon my arrival, I saw many do not enter signs and huge fences and at first I wondered how I would enter, but I then saw that the fences had been knocked down, and the boarded up doors ripped off. The easiest entry I've had!

Inside, the walls are falling to pieces, the ceiling is half collapsed with all the insulation and its covered head to toe in graffiti. I only entered the main building, inside it seemed huge, long corridors either in complete darkness, graffiti, holes in the floor and smashed glass. You could see rows of bedrooms, cell like tiny dorms. Several rooms were in pitch black as the windows were still boarded up. This is not a place I would have liked to have been in!

Toward the end of my visit, I head many voices and so of course I panicked and rushed out to only realize it was a bunch of harmless kids, but Id seen almost all of it anyway so I was okay to leave. Overall, a good location to visit and I'd recommend sticking your head in if you get the chance!

DSC_3342.jpg

DSC_3258.jpg

DSC_3265.jpg

DSC_3275.jpg

DSC_3277.jpg

DSC_3279.jpg

DSC_3280.jpg

DSC_3299.jpg
DSC_3303.jpg

DSC_3320.jpg

DSC_3337.jpg

DSC_3341.jpg

Joe goddard

28DL Member
28DL Member
Been there it's a good place would have been better if less trashed and there was more history left to look at

Maniac

rebmeM LD82
Regular User
Quite why they've never demolished this block I will never know, it's looking a right old mess these days!