real time web analytics
Report - - St Brigid's Hospital - Ireland - January 2020 | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - St Brigid's Hospital - Ireland - January 2020

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Saul

Basterd
28DL Full Member
This was our last stop on a rapidly planned trip around Ireland. The old girl is in a bit of a state these days, it's a shame we didn't get to her sooner.

History, courtesy of Wikipedia:

The hospital, which was designed by William Murray, opened as the Connacht Asylum in 1833. After a redrawing of the asylum district boundaries in 1850, it was renamed the Ballinasloe District Asylum. New wings were completed in 1871 and 1882. As it expanded conditions became very overcrowded with nearly 1,200 patients by the early 1900s and, having been renamed Ballinasloe Mental Hospital in the late 1920s, it accommodated some 2,000 patients by the 1950s.

The facility became St. Brigid's Hospital in the 1950s. After the introduction of deinstitutionalisation in the late 1980s, the hospital went into a period of decline and closed in 2013.

Visited with Rookinella. Brigid is a scabby girl.

SB 12R.jpg

SB 1R.jpg

SB 2R.jpg

SB 3R.jpg

SB 4R.jpg

SB 5R.jpg

SB 6R.jpg

SB 7R.jpg

SB 8R.jpg

SB 9R.jpg

SB 10R.jpg

SB 11R.jpg

SB 13R.jpg

SB 14R.jpg

SB 15R.jpg

SB 16R.jpg

SB 17R.jpg

SB 18R.jpg

Rookinella

I should have danced all night
28DL Full Member
I really enjoyed this place. Weirdly it was the easiest the get in and the best inside. Ireland has a weird approach to Victorian asylums, they can’t seem to let them go fully. Great for the building and the history, incredibly annoying for us.

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Like this, the b&w works well, some serious peely and decay going on. I love it. :thumb

Irishmanlost

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Was down again a few days, just the start the year off, disappointing to see it smashed up more , but awesome to see the decay grow more. Still worth the trip. I do like your take in B&W.

Hick_ClareIE

28DL Member
28DL Member
This asylum is the best preserved one in Ireland, it's lack of graffiti and and mindless vandalism give such a better insight into how these places really were and how they functioned. I really like the X and hopefully it stays intact for a good while longer.

Currently there are no known plans for the buildings or lands re-use.

Urbex_NI

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
has anyone been down to the asylum recently? it's a fair drive for me and have never been explorig outisde the North, so would be great to see something in decent condition.

sammydoublewhammy

L.L.S
28DL Full Member
has anyone been down to the asylum recently? it's a fair drive for me and have never been explorig outisde the North, so would be great to see something in decent condition.

You just need to head down and check with these things. When we went we didn't know if it was still standing, and it was more than a couple hours drive for us. Have a look in the area and try and plan some back ups just in case.

DustySensorPhotography

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Nice report, the black and white is and interesting effect...
Love the decay and the adornment of Jesus left too! Doesn't seem to be much graffiti/criminal damage either which is always nice; good job! :thumb

jones-y-gog

Putting the fun in dysfunctional
Regular User
Not recently but there are, shall we say, guardians of the place.
And other locations off the radar. If you're prepared to do some homework ;)

Last edited:

Who has read this thread (Total: 279) View details