real time web analytics
Report - - St Cuthberts Mill Boiler & Turbine House, Wells - June 2021 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - St Cuthberts Mill Boiler & Turbine House, Wells - June 2021

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Brassneck

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
This is a large derelict boiler house attached to a live paper mill in Somerset. The entire mill screams originality, so I thought it would be worth a look while I was in the area one summer. At first glance I had no clue if this boiler house was actually derelict or not, on google maps it looks like it could be working, "worth a look anyway after seeing a building that looked like a turbine hall" I thought. After scaling down a large banking onto the mill yard it was clear that all the steam plant on-site was clearly unused. Bingo! Being a Sunday, the entire mill was quite dead, so I quickly worked my way through to the boiler, excited to see what was left. Entry was straight forward, however after clambering through a ground floor window I heard a forklift wizz'd past, definitely a close call - dont want to be upsetting any workers. As with most of these old steam plants the entire area felt like a maze, modern boilers, old boilers, switchgear and the lot! Sadly working my way up the turbine hall staircase I found the generator sets had been long ripped out, bit gutting really, would have been a lovely little turbine hall! I did try to get into the live main paper mill, but was a bit on edge after the forklift incident, after hearing voices above me in the pulp mixing room, I left with my photos! Worth a return to see the paper rollers I think!?

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG
5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG

9.JPG

_MER2873.JPG

10.JPG

11.JPG

12.JPG

13.jpg

_MER2920.JPG

_MER2919.JPG

Olkka

Chillin at the structure
Regular User
This is well off piste - top drawer. You must either be local or a papermaking industry anorak I'm guessing 😎

Seffy

Staff member
We must have done this around the same time you did! Can’t remember whose lead it was, maybe @Terminal Decline ?

We tried to cut open that black sheeting to just find a wall behind it - very disappointing and a distinct lack of turbines :(

Speed

Got Epic Slow?
Regular User
Oh Lord, won't you buy me
A Hopkinson Gauge?
My friends all found a Parsons
I must make amends
I worked hard all my lifetime
No help from my friends
Oh Lord, won't you buy me
A Hopkinson Gauge?!