real time web analytics
St Hilda's Church - Hollingworth Lake - Sept 2020 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

St Hilda's Church - Hollingworth Lake - Sept 2020

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Foto.Jacker

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
St Hildas Chuch, Right by Hollingworth Lake (Greater Manchester). September 2020.

Ok, lets do this...

History on the location - So St Hilda's is a well documented location on this site so I doubt I'll bring anything new to the table in terms of information but the basic stuff is; It was a church in a different location before being finished here but it's metal sheets we're packed up and re-erected from the early 1930's and stayed active right up to 1998. It wasn't hugely busy towards it inevitable closing and was only used once a month apparently so you can imagine they got all the handmedown's from other local places and was never a priority. The closure of the church came due to "structural issues" and even though 22 years later it's still standing, it's not in great shape. I read somewhere that it's "frozen in time" which isnt exactly true. It's made from tin sheets and wooden internals on a red brick base. Lot's of the wooden beams on the floor have rotted away, however it's not a huge place so there no real "off limits" places. The one room with the chair next to the window isn't the most accessible but you can see the whole room from the entrance.

The day itself was chucking it down and with this being my first explore I was pretty careful how I went about things. I wasn't 100% on the location so I drove up a cobble road and had a look, didn't go great so I eneded up using some specifics on google, parked the car in the local car park (£1 for 2 hours) and then walked back up. You can see the roof between two houses but it's so close to them that it can be mistaken for part of either of the homes there. There's a footpath that you need to head towards that will take you to the end of the well kept garden and then you'll see the front of the building. Head down the right hand side and there's a large chuck of the wall that's deteriorated so bad that it's just gone.

It was weird walking in simply because it's my first time and I was alone, but I had a scout to make sure it was empty, got my camera out and started snapping away. Here's some of the results.
It's a mixture of things inside, you can tell some drug users have been in with bits and bobs they've used and left dotted around, as well as some handbags they might have stolen or some kids have just left,(there is a handful of them though)
Then theres the original stuff like the plates, cutlery, multiple bibles dotted around. There was a "chair room" I didn't really head into either, the floor was pretty much just covered in different types of seating, it sits opposite to the room with the chair next to the window.
Only thing I didnt take a photo of was the roof, it was falling apart towards the main entrance (which is boarded up)

Wasn't the easiest uploading the photos because some loaded and some didnt so i had to go back and reduce the size/quality of it, sorry if some seem super grainy.

chills

Queller of the uprising
Great first report and some lovely photos! Nice little write up too! Looking forward to your next! ✌

Seffy

Staff member
This is decent as a report full stop, but as a first report - yes my friend! Very nice. Keep it up :thumb

Patsybo

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
St Hildas Chuch, Right by Hollingworth Lake (Greater Manchester). September 2020.

Ok, lets do this...

History on the location - So St Hilda's is a well documented location on this site so I doubt I'll bring anything new to the table in terms of information but the basic stuff is; It was a church in a different location before being finished here but it's metal sheets we're packed up and re-erected from the early 1930's and stayed active right up to 1998. It wasn't hugely busy towards it inevitable closing and was only used once a month apparently so you can imagine they got all the handmedown's from other local places and was never a priority. The closure of the church came due to "structural issues" and even though 22 years later it's still standing, it's not in great shape. I read somewhere that it's "frozen in time" which isnt exactly true. It's made from tin sheets and wooden internals on a red brick base. Lot's of the wooden beams on the floor have rotted away, however it's not a huge place so there no real "off limits" places. The one room with the chair next to the window isn't the most accessible but you can see the whole room from the entrance.

The day itself was chucking it down and with this being my first explore I was pretty careful how I went about things. I wasn't 100% on the location so I drove up a cobble road and had a look, didn't go great so I eneded up using some specifics on google, parked the car in the local car park (£1 for 2 hours) and then walked back up. You can see the roof between two houses but it's so close to them that it can be mistaken for part of either of the homes there. There's a footpath that you need to head towards that will take you to the end of the well kept garden and then you'll see the front of the building. Head down the right hand side and there's a large chuck of the wall that's deteriorated so bad that it's just gone.

It was weird walking in simply because it's my first time and I was alone, but I had a scout to make sure it was empty, got my camera out and started snapping away. Here's some of the results.
It's a mixture of things inside, you can tell some drug users have been in with bits and bobs they've used and left dotted around, as well as some handbags they might have stolen or some kids have just left,(there is a handful of them though)
Then theres the original stuff like the plates, cutlery, multiple bibles dotted around. There was a "chair room" I didn't really head into either, the floor was pretty much just covered in different types of seating, it sits opposite to the room with the chair next to the window.
Only thing I didnt take a photo of was the roof, it was falling apart towards the main entrance (which is boarded up)

Wasn't the easiest uploading the photos because some loaded and some didnt so i had to go back and reduce the size/quality of it, sorry if some seem super grainy.

Love the pictures I'm hoping to get to it today. Staying in rochdale few days. peace!