real time web analytics
Report - - St Leonard Hospital, Sudbury, Suffolk, March 2016 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - St Leonard Hospital, Sudbury, Suffolk, March 2016

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Mps6

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Warning, First Report, I Apologize in advance. ;)

Information seems fairly hard to come by on St Leonard's, but here is what i have found with a little digging.

St Leonard's hospital Sudbury was built in 1867 and was closed late 2007. The original proposal to close it began in 2005 after cut backs. St Leonard's took the brunt of the cuts and was closed completely where as Walnutree Hospital suffered only bed closures until this year when it too closed its doors. Since then a new "medical hub" has been opened to replace the two hospitals but many facilities have been moved to neighboring hospitals in Bury St Edmunds or Newmarket. St Leonard's was planned to be demolished in late 2013 to make way for housing. This plan however fell through leaving the site to decay behind the tree line of Newton Road, very much out of site out of mind.

Our Visit

After stumbling across photos of the building online i thought i should go take a look being its only 15 minutes away from me. Upon arrival the place looked secure and also surrounded by houses from one side, we decided entering from the other side of the site may cause a little less attention. After walking around and climbing over the site for what felt like and hour we both accepted defeat and headed for the exit. Upon leaving i had one of those feelings that we could have possibly missed something, 30 seconds later we where in, Excellent. After a little look around in the dark we decided to come back in the day with camera's for a better look.

We returned a week later to take some pictures only to be slightly disappointed:(. Now we could see it seemed it was very much left as a bare shell with not much to look at or point a camera at.The first thing we found was a small room packed with dead Bees piled up against the window, odd. We were however surprised to see no graffiti no vandalism,we found some writing in the dust on the mirror of an upstairs wash room saying "this might need cleaning i think" maybe from just before closure, who knows. The Lay out of the upstairs of the building more resembles a large house then a hospital with lots of smaller rooms which could only really be used as consultation rooms. The lower south side of the site looked much more interesting and still had a lot of equipment in it, the first room seemed to house what was left of their X ray department maybe. However whilst i was snapping away the rest of the group had walked on and before we could investigate any further we were greeted with the sound of an alarm, so that was that.

My advice, Don't go through the double doors downstairs...

27362421783_6d355eea9c_z.jpg

27362577833_a7e2fb6b2e_z.jpg

27976068655_1afd85ba8d_z.jpg

27362878544_f0cfae288e_z.jpg

27898579181_3a9d75e100_z.jpg

27941668896_1f11427dec_z.jpg

27898575931_d514d6e2e8_z.jpg

27941884146_93929f1cbe_z.jpg

27696397750_5c5acbd40d_z.jpg

Thanks for reading :thumb

Mps6

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
What was going on with all the suicide wasp..
It was only a guess, but there is a house beside that room only meters away, so maybe the wasps had been getting from that room into the house and the occupants had got a few cans of repellent in and shut the door. was certainly strange tho.

slayaaaa

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice! Beat me to a report. My pictures arent great and was gonna go back in the light haha. I'll get on with writing up Walnut tree tonight haha. Nice pics! :)

Speed

Got Epic?
Regular User
Nice one mate. I grew up in Sudbury and my dad was born here. Got in a few months ago but didn't really take many photos. Thought it was ok for such a little hospital. Quite 1930s. I screwed up with Walnutree. Got in the week after it closed but only had time to explore half of the place. Now it's pretty stripped :(

Mps6

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice! Beat me to a report. My pictures arent great and was gonna go back in the light haha. I'll get on with writing up Walnut tree tonight haha. Nice pics! :)

You have the crown jewel in walnutree tho, i looked around but couldn't get in, must try harder :( im excited to see your report now:thumb and thanks man.

Mps6

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice one mate. I grew up in Sudbury and my dad was born here. Got in a few months ago but didn't really take many photos. Thought it was ok for such a little hospital. Quite 1930s. I screwed up with Walnutree. Got in the week after it closed but only had time to explore half of the place. Now it's pretty stripped :(

Thanks man. Sudbury is a nice area. Yeah it isn't to bad for the size of the place. i did see a few photo's of yours from walnutree, looked promising. Shame, it must have been stripped fairly quickly :(

BrainL

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nothing to apologise about with that report mate, really enjoyed! Nice pics.. the bees is a indeed a very strange one, looks like theres hundreds of them :(

Five.Claws

General Nuisance
28DL Full Member
Went along for a poke around today... construction crew’s moved in and it’s locked up tight. Shame, looked really interesting!

Mps6

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Went along for a poke around today... construction crew’s moved in and it’s locked up tight. Shame, looked really interesting!

They moved in mid 2017 i believe. They have kept a fair amount of the building. will be apartments soon.