real time web analytics
Report - - St. Luke's Asylum, Middlesborough 2010 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - St. Luke's Asylum, Middlesborough 2010

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Rookinella

I should have danced all night
28DL Full Member
Morning trekkers, it's report dump time again:)

Saint Luke's had some fine examples of mental artwork which was one of my favourite bits of the whole place. In its day, I'd imagine it was a pretty high-security facility because there were so many insanely high fences within some of the courtyards, the drainpipes had anti-climb covers on and there were more two way mirrors than you could chuck Alice in Wonderland at. I don't think St. Luke's has very long left so if you're in the area, pop in for a look around before it goes :thumb

Here's some history from Wikipedia:

St Luke's Hospital, Middlesbrough, North Yorkshire, England is unique as it is a remaining example of a well intact Victorian asylum. The building now provides a range of services for adults and older people with mental health problems and learning disabilities. It also contains the regional medium secure psychiatric unit in a modern building to the rear of the hospital called the Hutton Centre. The hospital lies beside the 1010 bedded James Cook University Hospital. It was built from 1893-1898 and was first named Middlesbrough Borough Asylum.

The trust Tees Esk and Wear Valleys NHS trust (who also run the modern West Park Hospital in Darlington and Earls House Hospital in Durham), are planning to replace the hospital with a new 312 bedded facility so that all inpatients can benefit from having their own bedrooms.

It will be replaced by Roseberry Park in 2010.

_DSC0503.jpg

_DSC0502.jpg

_DSC0496.jpg

_DSC0485.jpg

_DSC0479.jpg

_DSC0474.jpg

_DSC0471.jpg

_DSC0466.jpg

_DSC0464.jpg

_DSC0461.jpg

_DSC0460.jpg

_DSC0455.jpg