real time web analytics
Report - - St.Peter's Seminary, Cardross. March 2011 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - St.Peter's Seminary, Cardross. March 2011

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Gorecki

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
St.Peter's Seminary in Cardross was designed by Gillespie Kidd & Coia and has been disused since the late 1980's.

Determinedly modernist, brutalist and owing a huge debt to Le Corbusier, the building is often considered one of the most important modernist buildings in Scotland.

I first visited here two years ago and fell in love with the building. When I was here a few weeks ago, it was so atmospheric...
It was pouring rain.. "Goodbye Blue Sky" sang Pink Floyd on my car CD, how approptiate.
The place is completley trashed now. Various fires and graffiti have taken its toll on the building.

Quote from Isi Metzstein [who Coia hired as an apprentice] in an interview with him and Mark Baines. Baines asks:

"Can we briefly consider the building's more recent problems, and whether it can be resuced from its present derelict state?"

"As to possible ways of 'rescuing' it: I don't mind the idea of a conversion - it could be converted, for instance, into a conference centre. I have some ideas myself, about new uses. But it's certainly not a 'flexible box' - and that's not accidential! Or we could go for a completely different solution: in some ways, I would rather enjoy the idea of everything being stripped away except the concrete iteslf - a purely romatic conception of the building as a beautiful ruin!"

A beautiful ruin it is :D

IMG_3657.jpg

5460897457_4be6781d9d_z.jpg

IMG_3637.jpg

IMG_3611-1.jpg

IMG_3698.jpg

IMG_3628.jpg

IMG_3650.jpg

IMG_3635.jpg

IMG_3653.jpg

IMG_3605.jpg

IMG_3693.jpg