real time web analytics
Report - - St. Vincent Church - Sheffield - July 2014 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - St. Vincent Church - Sheffield - July 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Jidell

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Ended up accidentally walking past this place with a few non members yesterday. Entry was easy enough and the site did not disappoint! There is loads of history in the church old paperwork and stuff at one side.....old Barclays cheques from the 1950's which was pretty awesome!!! Spend a good hour and a half in this place and thoroughly enjoyed it because in comparison to other places this place has not been wrecked really, everything is still intact. Give it a good clean and within half a year it could be a usable church again. Bit of history below:

"St Vincent’s Church is a disused (since 1998) Roman Catholic church situated on Solly Street at its junction with Hollis Croft in the centre of the City of Sheffield, South Yorkshire.

As a result of the Irish Potato Famine between the years of 1845 and 1849 many emigrants left Ireland to try to find a better life in England. The developing cutlery and tool industries of Sheffield attracted many of these Irish emigrants and they settled in "The Crofts" area of the town. The Crofts was centred on Solly Street (then called Pea Croft) and at that time was the centre of the Sheffield steel, cutlery and filemaking industries. It was an area of working class tenements and back to back housing interspersed with iron and steel works and small workshops making cutlery and hand tools.
The majority of the Irish emigrants in The Crofts were Roman Catholics and worshipped at the newly opened St Marie’s church in Norfolk Row, the only Catholic church in Sheffield in the early 1850s. Father Edmund Scully of St Marie’s pledged to build a school-chapel for The Crofts area and on Good Friday 1851 a plot of ground was purchased in the area for £700. Matthew Ellison Hadfield designed the chapel-school which was completed in July 1853 at a cost of £1,850.

The first Sheffield Blitz raid by German bombers on the night of 12/13 December 1940 resulted in the destruction of the original 1853 chapel when a parachute mine landed on the roof. The original girls school was also destroyed and every window in the church was blown out destroying some valuable stained glass windows. The newer part of the church from 1911 escaped serious damage.

Vigorous fund raising enabled much re-building to be done on the damaged church in the 1950s, this included a new chapel, replacement roofs and a new entrance porch, organ loft and choir gallery.
Due to the war damage and continuing slum clearances in the post war St Vincent’s area, the church lost much of its congregation as the district was rebuilt as a business area. In 1998 it closed as a place of worship and is in need of some renovation with much of the land round the church used for car parking."

On with the pictures :D ;)

The church itself, still looks in clean condition
P7050929_zps36d41351.jpg

Walked up the stairs and was presented with this!:laugh
P7050881_zps47f4c807.jpg

Cherubs still intact
P7050886_zps220b840d.jpg

With the history pile
P7050890_zpsd13a2e9e.jpg

Old TV anyone? Just needs a replacement screen ;)
P7050894_zps6d6889a7.jpg

Dear Deidre was still going on, even back in '81 (see what i did there)
P7050898_zps246228ec.jpg

Stained glass windows did not disappoint
P7050901_zpsfc8876a4.jpg

The paintwork didn't either
P7050900_zps4002b958.jpg

Still in good condition
P7050903_zps234a97a0.jpg

Anyone restore organs?
P7050907_zps83ebb450.jpg

The stairs up to the clock tower we're risky and wobbly as hell
P7050914_zps1c27a896.jpg

The stained glass still a great sight to see
P7050925_zps6741477e.jpg

The church as a whole
P7050927_zps3982c994.jpg

Again thankyou for looking at my post any comments please tell me! :thumb

Jidell

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Did you go up the tower?

We went up to a certain extent, we went up the old winding stairs and there was stairs above us,we ventured half way up and they were ridden with loads of bird poo and was fairly wobbly.....you could see the particulates of bird s**t everywhere so not to the top pal! Have you?

WildBoyz

Is this the future?
28DL Full Member
We went up to a certain extent, we went up the old winding stairs and there was stairs above us,we ventured half way up and they were ridden with loads of bird poo and was fairly wobbly.....you could see the particulates of bird s**t everywhere so not to the top pal! Have you?

Lmao, yeah man, we braved it on the second visit. Did you see the stalagmites of pure pigeon crap lol? Never seen them so big. Got some pics of the top in our thread somewhere. Good views!

Jidell

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Lmao, yeah man, we braved it on the second visit. Did you see the stalagmites of pure pigeon crap lol? Never seen them so big. Got some pics of the top in our thread somewhere. Good views!

Yeah i think next time if we go again id have to brave it just for the view! Yes i did see the stalagmites haha so horrible! Ill check your report :)

Telf360x

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
me and a mate went to "school of Phlem" next to the church which was interesting, we had a look round the church but couldnt get access :(

Jidell

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
me and a mate went to "school of Phlem" next to the church which was interesting, we had a look round the church but couldnt get access :(

We was going to get into the old school but an old woman had a right pop and old us to get off the scaffolding haha!! We would have come back but time was tight!

Telf360x

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
yer its a bit of a climb to get into the school and the floors are pretty sketchy to

super nerris

On A Mission....
28DL Full Member
was in here the other week, I have never seen so much bird crap in my life hahaha especially on that stair case winding up to the tower

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Don"t need to use the Scaff" to get into the school!

It was already half flattened last Tuesday night. That said it probably in-ploded on itself when the Excavator tracked up ;) the condition it was in.

Telf360x

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
think im going to wonder round kelham today and see whats about, yer schools probably seen its last day

JaneEyre

The clumsiest explorer in Yorkshire!
28DL Full Member
Popped by this week, seems the church is now all sealed up :( however no need for scaff to get into the school, half the walls are missing anyway!
Watch your step if you upstairs x

Oh and lovely shots btw!

Who has read this thread (Total: 5) View details