real time web analytics
Report - - Standedge Tunnels, April 2014 | Underground Sites | Page 2 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Standedge Tunnels, April 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

jimm

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I've been up here 3 times this year with 3 fails because of all the activity. Good work getting it done. Not seen a post from this place for a good while

Fudge

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I do believe that they're electrifying this line. May be what the work is for?

bollockmaster

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Love the pics of the 'Cathedral Roof' as we used to call it, although it looks a bit blacker than it used to. Theres a P/Way hut built into the side of the live tunnel about mid-way through complete with windows and fireplace with a chimney going out into the tunnel.

grannyjone

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Regarding standedge tunnels, how do you get in?

I had a quick look today from the Diggle end and both disused railway tunnels had massive gates blocking both entrances.

I have a Network Rail Number 16 key which gets you through most railway gates but unfortunately the gates on the Diggle end of the tunnel are locked by a different type of key.

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
I have a Network Rail Number 16 key

and this will probably be the view from your front door in the morning...

3570304.jpg

WildBoyz

Is this the future?
28DL Full Member
Regarding standedge tunnels, how do you get in?

I had a quick look today from the Diggle end and both disused railway tunnels had massive gates blocking both entrances.

I thought the photos of the rubber dinghy might have given that away lol.

The Lone Ranger

Safety is paramount!
Staff member
There's always access down the Bailey Mill chimney, which has links to the tunnels by the secret priest passages, dug by Irish navies in the 13 Centuary to allow escape from the local Morris Men and a safe route into Yorkshire if the Lancastrians ever managed to invade the area.