real time web analytics
Information - - Statement from Cumbria Ore Mines Rescue Unit | General Exploring Chat Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Information - Statement from Cumbria Ore Mines Rescue Unit

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

pirate

Rum Swigger
28DL Full Member
This has just been posted on various channels ...

Statement from Cumbria Ore Mines Rescue Unit (COMRU) and Coniston Mountain Rescue Team (CMRT) - Team Leaders

COMRU and CMRT are members of LDSAMRA, the umbrella body for Mountain Rescue in Cumbria.

We are aware, not for the first time, of videos circulating on social media that show people, inexperienced in underground exploration, filming themselves going down disused mines in Cumbria.

We would like to remind them that the Mountain Rescue and Underground Rescue teams are volunteers who attend thousands of rescues every year. It is a privilege to be able to save the lives of those respectfully exploring our beautiful countryside, who find themselves in danger through no fault of their own. However, it is heart-breaking when we are called to extremely dangerous conditions for people who have deliberately put themselves in needless danger. These rescues cost us all time away from our families and every rescue puts our own lives in danger.

The videos in question show the participants inexperience and lack of respect for the environment and also displays an absence of professional equipment and safe techniques.

In this instance they were extremely lucky to not need to call us, but many in the same situation have had to make that call. Some have even lost their lives. We cannot see how the gain is worth the risk.

For those who support content like this, our message is, there is already plenty of footage of mine visits by properly equipped people who actually know what they are doing and also know what they are talking about. Why is that not enough?

So many aspects of disused mines have the potential for trouble. These videos are encouraging other people to potentially risk our team’s lives. It’s all fun until the unthinkable happens.

COMRU and CMRT supports Adventuresmart, an online resource for information about outdoor activities, weather, equipment and skills.

Chris Jones
Team Leader - COMRU

Rob Ingham
Team Leader - Coniston Mountain Rescue Team

Scoobysrt

Teim scoobs
28DL Full Member
There's a thread on aditnow about the baseball cap and trainer leeches,
I believe they have also posted warnings on their yt videos but I don't watch so don't know.

His reply at one point I believe was that because 28dl hate him and the mines commission aren't happy he's going to make sure he goes down every Welsh mine he can find (or leech).

The important thing is not to help this asshole or any of his friends, don't act as a guide, don't give them information and don't give entry points.

This thread might be better in the mines and quarries section?

Down and beyond

The true source of englands wealth is coal
Regular User
@pirate good idea bringing this across to 28dl , I believe these idiots who are dangerously exploring these mines need showing for there true colours all they are achieving is putting them selves in danger and the rescue teams and getting great places sealed up . :banghead I hope everyone reads this thread and learns these people don’t deserve nothing but negative comments !

Merlinonline

28DL Member
28DL Member
This has just been posted on various channels ...

Statement from Cumbria Ore Mines Rescue Unit (COMRU) and Coniston Mountain Rescue Team (CMRT) - Team Leaders

COMRU and CMRT are members of LDSAMRA, the umbrella body for Mountain Rescue in Cumbria.

We are aware, not for the first time, of videos circulating on social media that show people, inexperienced in underground exploration, filming themselves going down disused mines in Cumbria.

We would like to remind them that the Mountain Rescue and Underground Rescue teams are volunteers who attend thousands of rescues every year. It is a privilege to be able to save the lives of those respectfully exploring our beautiful countryside, who find themselves in danger through no fault of their own. However, it is heart-breaking when we are called to extremely dangerous conditions for people who have deliberately put themselves in needless danger. These rescues cost us all time away from our families and every rescue puts our own lives in danger.

The videos in question show the participants inexperience and lack of respect for the environment and also displays an absence of professional equipment and safe techniques.

In this instance they were extremely lucky to not need to call us, but many in the same situation have had to make that call. Some have even lost their lives. We cannot see how the gain is worth the risk.

For those who support content like this, our message is, there is already plenty of footage of mine visits by properly equipped people who actually know what they are doing and also know what they are talking about. Why is that not enough?

So many aspects of disused mines have the potential for trouble. These videos are encouraging other people to potentially risk our team’s lives. It’s all fun until the unthinkable happens.

COMRU and CMRT supports Adventuresmart, an online resource for information about outdoor activities, weather, equipment and skills.

Chris Jones
Team Leader - COMRU

Rob Ingham
Team Leader - Coniston Mountain Rescue Team

Thanks for bringing this up, I used to go rock climbing from my teens, when I lived in Cumbria it was a natural progression to join properly organized and trained groups to go into the iron and lead mines in the area. I even did the Croesor Rhosydd Slate Mine trip in Wales but I am horrified by some of the videos now appearing on youtube, there are some bt properly equipped groups but there are others and they are entering the most dangerous mines in the UK without so much as an experienced guide. With Slate caverns, in particular, someone can fall 300 feet or so, instant death but not a very nice recovery of the body, in high falls in this environment can mean limbs detached from bodies and often decapitation. I've also seen some people who are breaking into the old underground workings of coal mines. There have been big falls of rock in Coniston Copper Mines and Croesor Rhosydd in recent years, a lot of mines are now approaching an age where it is increasingly becoming more dangerous to visit. I gave it up a few years ago as I could see the rapid deterioration in some of the mines. The rescue teams like COMRU are volunteers and themselves, mine explorers. If you get trapped by a major rockfall then there will in all probability be no rescue. Anyway, I do not here to teach people how to suck eggs, from what I have seen in the past most people on this site seem sensible.

Bazza74

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Wow! That’s some stupid stuff right there!
even if you take out the stupidity of what they attempted in the mine the fact that if they had got hurt they’d have forced mountain rescue out in the dark to find them is beyond irresponsible!
plus....too lazy to walk up there, driving up a mountain speaks volumes about why they do this!

katana

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
The thread on aditnow re Exploring with Fighters is getting seriously funny and well worth following. Over there we are considering a spoof video, some of the suggestions will have you in stitches. We could all do with a good laugh.

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
The thread on aditnow re Exploring with Fighters is getting seriously funny and well worth following. Over there we are considering a spoof video, some of the suggestions will have you in stitches. We could all do with a good laugh.
The spoof videos have been done and done well by certain members of this very forum :D

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
I might have to login if I can remember my p/w it's been a few years :brew

The Lone Ranger

Safety is paramount!
Staff member
Unfortunately I think its going to take one of these idiots really hurting themselves before this all gets sorted out. Which will almost certainly have wider repocussions to mine access for everyone.

In a way I hope the lot of them find out what a false floor is at the same time. Just the one call out then and a few less GoonTube videos until the 2nd wave!

Who has read this thread (Total: 198) View details