real time web analytics
Report - - Steam Punk Passage, Ilkley-November 2015 | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Steam Punk Passage, Ilkley-November 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

ultrix

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Many streams drain from the long ridge of high ground that forms Ilkley Moors. Some drain south into the River Aire. Others drains north into the wharfe. One of those that drains into the Wharfe runs through the centre of Ilkley.
As it enters the town, it runs through a narrow strip of landscaped gardens and into a 3 feet square culvert entrance.
spp-009.jpg

The entrance really is as small as it looks and I didn't think it was possible to do a through trip, but when I realised that the culvert would run under the main street of Ilkley, it was too irresistible to walk away from.
spp-001.jpg

I couldn't find any details of it's exploration anywhere, so I called it Steam Punk Passage, after one of it's internal features. Because of it's steep gradient. I did an upstream explore. It was another solo explore and was done (I think) way back in the summer of 2011.
The outfall in on the south bank of the river, immediately downstream from the road bridge. It leads to a very nice stone tunnel.
spp-035.jpg

spp-034.jpg

Next is the feature which gives the culvert its name. A 3 feet diameter pipe made from iron tubes which are riveted together. It looks like something out of a steam punk film.
spp-040.jpg

I've no idea how long this section was, but by now I was feeling a bit isolated. At this point my camera got wet and died.
spp-041.jpg

The culvert gets a bit more serious now. The steam comes out of a smaller (estimated 30 inches diameter) inclined slippy plastic tube. It is a struggle to get up this. While it is not long, you're laid flat out in a stream and it seems a very isolated place.
It couldn't get any worse could it? Yes, it does. The next section is another section of plastic pipe which is almost horizontal. It is set about 9-10 inches below the lip of the previous section, so its always going to have its airspace reduced by about a third. I was lucky(?) to do the culvert with low water levels.
After that a chance to stand upright to view the next obstacle. A climb up a vertical waterfall. From memory, its about 3 feet wide , with side walls and maybe 8 feet high . Easy using a hand and foot on each side. Less easy when you're carrying a tripod with one hand.
After the waterfall, I recognised where I was, from a previous look at the infall. All that remained was a long crawl through a 3 feet square stone culvert to the infall. I had some photographs of this from a previous trip
spp-019.jpg

High water levels are going to cause a problem in this culvert.
spp-013.jpg

I've put together a small website to host my photographs. There are more photo's at http://www.urbanredux.uk

The Lone Ranger

Safety is paramount!
Staff member
Excellent, know where this one runs too, forgot about all the small stuff which ends up in the Wharfe :thumb

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Makes a nice change from the Cow & Calf & the Antiques shops :thumb

Although I"d invest in a decent Torch & practice your lighting skills, if you"re gonna continue down the Culverts route ;)

ultrix

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
The camera was a cheap digital compact as i didn't want to risk my Nikon getting wet. The right choice since it got wet and stopped working. I'd be the first to agree that my photographic skills need a lot of work,
The torch was a Petzl head lamp which was at least 4 years old. It was good in its day, but lacking in Lumens ( by todays standards) by the time I went down this culvert.

BoroLad

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
The camera was a cheap digital compact as i didn't want to risk my Nikon getting wet. The right choice since it got wet and stopped working. I'd be the first to agree that my photographic skills need a lot of work,
The torch was a Petzl head lamp which was at least 4 years old. It was good in its day, but lacking in Lumens ( by todays standards) by the time I went down this culvert.
Fair enough :)

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Bet you're glad you didn't go down there yesterday. Wouldn't be posting anything with that amount of flood water :eek:

And it wasn't a criticism it was an informative suggestion ;)

Darkday

28DL Member
28DL Member
Many streams drain from the long ridge of high ground that forms Ilkley Moors. Some drain south into the River Aire. Others drains north into the wharfe. One of those that drains into the Wharfe runs through the centre of Ilkley.
As it enters the town, it runs through a narrow strip of landscaped gardens and into a 3 feet square culvert entrance.
spp-009.jpg

The entrance really is as small as it looks and I didn't think it was possible to do a through trip, but when I realised that the culvert would run under the main street of Ilkley, it was too irresistible to walk away from.
spp-001.jpg

I couldn't find any details of it's exploration anywhere, so I called it Steam Punk Passage, after one of it's internal features. Because of it's steep gradient. I did an upstream explore. It was another solo explore and was done (I think) way back in the summer of 2011.
The outfall in on the south bank of the river, immediately downstream from the road bridge. It leads to a very nice stone tunnel.
spp-035.jpg

spp-034.jpg

Next is the feature which gives the culvert its name. A 3 feet diameter pipe made from iron tubes which are riveted together. It looks like something out of a steam punk film.
spp-040.jpg

I've no idea how long this section was, but by now I was feeling a bit isolated. At this point my camera got wet and died.
spp-041.jpg

The culvert gets a bit more serious now. The steam comes out of a smaller (estimated 30 inches diameter) inclined slippy plastic tube. It is a struggle to get up this. While it is not long, you're laid flat out in a stream and it seems a very isolated place.
It couldn't get any worse could it? Yes, it does. The next section is another section of plastic pipe which is almost horizontal. It is set about 9-10 inches below the lip of the previous section, so its always going to have its airspace reduced by about a third. I was lucky(?) to do the culvert with low water levels.
After that a chance to stand upright to view the next obstacle. A climb up a vertical waterfall. From memory, its about 3 feet wide , with side walls and maybe 8 feet high . Easy using a hand and foot on each side. Less easy when you're carrying a tripod with one hand.
After the waterfall, I recognised where I was, from a previous look at the infall. All that remained was a long crawl through a 3 feet square stone culvert to the infall. I had some photographs of this from a previous trip
spp-019.jpg

High water levels are going to cause a problem in this culvert.
spp-013.jpg

I've put together a small website to host my photographs. There are more photo's at http://www.urbanredux.uk
Always wondered what the inside of that tunnel looked like, I was in Ilkley last month and failed to explore it as I was also alone and concerned about water levels and getting stuck! Good to see pics from inside and after reading your report I might just admire the stonework from the outside, great job, and pics!