real time web analytics
Dinting Railway Heritage Centre, High Peak : March 2023 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Dinting Railway Heritage Centre, High Peak : March 2023

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

JakeV50

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Dinting Engine Shed / Heritage Centre

Another place ticked off on one of mine and @dansgas1000 little jolly outs. Not a huge amount to this one, but it does have some interesting history and is photogenic.

Dinting Engine Shed is situated in the small village of Dinting on the Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway Line. The shed was constructed around 1889. It served from 1889 until 1934 when it closed for unknown reasons. It was put back in service around in 1942. It then closed again in 1954.

After a period of lying dormant, it was purchased by Jacob G Warburton in 1968 for a fee of £1500 and reopened as a heritage centre. The centre was run by the Bahamas Locomotive Society, who are based at Ingrow on the Keighley & Worth Valley Railway. They made pin badges to mark the connection between the charity and the site at Dinting, these were given to employees and occasionally handed out at events.

dinting-badge.jpg

In 1974, the famous Flying Scotsman visited the centre for an open day.
In 1977, they constructed a miniature railway on site as to attract further visitors.
In 1979, the Flying Scotsman attended yet again, along with the Green Arrow.

The Heritage Centre then closed in 1990 following a previous disagreement with the landlord. The remaining collection was relocated to the aforementioned Ingrow Museum where it remains today.

The 9-acre site now sits disused after being purchased by some local solicitors, they attempted to get planning permission to build houses on the site, but this was rejected.
Some smaller buildings remain further down closer to the active Sheffield, Ashton-under-Lyne and Manchester Railway line. They are the old Manchester bound platform buildings. I found them difficult to photograph due to them being in such poor condition and there is a fence very close to the front of the buildings, meaning it was hard to get a good angle of them.

Starting at the main shed.

IMG_7814.jpg

IMG_7796-HDR.jpg

IMG_7790-HDR-2.jpg

Beautiful old metal framed windows.

IMG_7779.jpg

IMG_7778.jpg

IMG_7777.jpg

IMG_7783.jpg

IMG_7784.jpg

IMG_7804.jpg

Onto the platform buildings

IMG_7837.jpg

IMG_7836.jpg

IMG_7832.jpg

IMG_7829.jpg

Looking out a window at the new buildings on the other side of the line.

IMG_7825.jpg

Onto a few old photos of the site because I know people like seeing them! This shows what the old platform buildings used to look like.

Dinting Stationversion1.jpg

The engine shed behind a lovely old loco

20180601200336-d7bb955b-me.jpg

A visitor's guide that was available to read at the heritage centre

35554042163_ec28fe1a26_b.jpg

An image from 1990, it closed shortly after this was taken.

85216.1.640.640.UNPAD.jpeg

The site as shown on an old OS map

Capture.PNG

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Great set and some nice old pics on the place. This place was so much better than expected and a great bit of railbex :thumb Oh and I love the trolley shot

Bikin Glynn

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Nice thorough report, I quite likr it here but struggled to photograph station.
I think the best way to get that is from platform other side but I couldnt b arsed going round lol

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Always a pleasure to see. And so nice to see the chimney in these snaps, covers everything well. The old photos are a great addition too.

JakeV50

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Nice thorough report, I quite likr it here but struggled to photograph station.
I think the best way to get that is from platform other side but I couldnt b arsed going round lol
Thanks.
I did consider that also but really couldn't be bothered either ahaha

Who has read this thread (Total: 158) View details