real time web analytics
Report - - Swansea Boys Club - Mayhill | March 2024 | Leisure Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Swansea Boys Club - Mayhill | March 2024

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Ryhsj

Proud Welsh
28DL Full Member
Previous post was taken down for ‘not being report worthy’ which i find harsh, I’ve come back to get some better pictures so i’m hoping it stays up this time :thumb

If your looking for how the club came about and how it was run theres a neat document i found that’s linked at the end of the report, I’ll insert an extract just for convenience :)

The Story of the Swansea Boys Club from the 1930s to the 1960s
In the early 1930s, members of the Swansea Strand Mission, a voluntary religious organisation,
regularly met with groups of young people who congregated on the streets in the centre of
Swansea after they had finished their schooling or work for the day.
These young people, who were predominately boys, complained that there was very little for them
to do in their leisure time, because of the scarcity of organised activities in the town which were
suitable for their age group. The Mission members publicly expressed concerns that some of the
boys they met might drift into anti-social activities through boredom.
These concerns came to the attention of Mr F.J.May, the Chief Constable of the Swansea Borough
Police Force. In his professional capacity Mr May realised that throughout the country, for Police
Authorities discharging their duties for preserving law and order, no type of delinquent presented
more difficulties than the juvenile offenders whose environment and home conditions did not permit
the natural use of physical energy.
The Chief Constable decided to take action to remedy the situation. In the latter part of 1933, he
organised a committee of enthusiastic volunteers from the Police Force and interested civilians.
The Committee managed to rent a disused printing works in the centre of Swansea as a meeting
place for boys. The building was open for seven days a week and immediately attracted a healthy
membership. From this modest beginning began the long and illustrious history of the Swansea
Boys Club.

The place was abandoned about 15-20 years now but there was an arson attack which destroyed most the stuff inside. It’s a shame really as previous pictures the place still had character and not just a charred eyesore in the area

The Explore
Entry to the place was unusually easy, but im not gonna complain about that
It boasts a great view of the city aswell!

No entry sign outside the building
IMG_6215.jpeg

The roof of the building fell down, so alot of the 2nd floor is covered in rubble
IMG_6216.jpeg

Before the fire:
IMG_7587.jpeg

The main hall
IMG_7090.jpeg

One of the side rooms, likely a games room
IMG_7099.jpeg

The showers
IMG_7095.jpeg

Showers again
IMG_7094.jpeg

The hall again, access to the basement is blocked so you gotta crawl through the cracks in the floor to get there
IMG_7096.jpeg

some graffiti
IMG_7098.jpeg

The basement mentioned, the air quality is how you expect
IMG_7102.jpeg

The basement
IMG_7103.jpeg

The stairs leading upstairs
IMG_7110.jpeg

The hall during the night
IMG_6225.jpeg

hall with side rooms, games rooms, toilets and shower rooms