real time web analytics
Report - - Terezin Small Fortress (Near Prague)- 3/06 | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Terezin Small Fortress (Near Prague)- 3/06

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

W

wired

Explored this fascinating WW2 SS concentration camp and headquarters during a uni trip to Prague last year. It was extremely cold. This old fortress built between 1780 and 1790 was a garrison for troops of that era. during WW2 it was captured by the Gestapo and used to house high profile prisoners, and Jews from Czechoslovakia. The fortress was used to interrogate prisoners, such as Brits, Russians, Americans, French, and Jewish High Profiles. The surrounding Garrison town was controlled as a ghetto for Czech Jews. It still today is a haunting place to visit and drive around. its just an hour from Prague. In total 33,000 Jews died here, and 88,000 were taken from Terezin to Auschwitz. A Life changing visit. hope these pictures give you some idea of what its like to visit... The tours are very emotional.

the main entrance is surrounded by memorials and a cemetry.
P3150909.jpg

the fortress is a star shape with extensive defences. i think only one person ever escaped if my memory served me right. many were shot trying to escape.
P3150914.jpg

the fortress is extensive in size, near on impossible to get in or out.
P3150925.jpg

the main gate into the prison cells
P3150915.jpg

hundreds of prisoners were packed into rooms like this
P3150936.jpg

P3150919.jpg

shower blocks. these were not gas chambers. terezin was not used for mass killing.
P3150921.jpg

these tunnels run under the fortress. prisoners were led down them
P3150927.jpg

at the end of the tunnels was an execution area.
P3150931.jpg

there was also a large earth bank and a shooting stand, where prisoners were executed.

A Life changing visit. hope these pictures give you some idea of what its like to visit... The tours are very emotional.