real time web analytics
Report - - TG Green Pottery, Church Gresley - February 2009 - | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - TG Green Pottery, Church Gresley - February 2009 -

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
First a little bit of history from http://www.tggreen.co.uk/ ...

T.G.Green & Co. first produced Cornishware in the 1920s. The distinctive blue and white banded pottery owes its name to an employee who said it reminded them of the blue sky and white-crested waves of Cornwall.

Over eight decades, Cornishware adorned millions of British homes and become a design classic. In the 1960s, it was updated by a young designer called Judith Onions. It says much for her skill and sensitivity that this restyled range was embraced as warmly as the originals had been. Over the past 20 years, the range has become highly prized by collectors, with the sighting of both rare original designs and Onions classics the subject of much excitement – and ever-increasing prices.

Then, despite continuing popularity, the factory was forced into administration in 2007. Supplies became scarce and Cornishware became highly sought after, with items commanding breathtaking prices on eBay.

Well it was easy enough, but time wasn't on my side and the light was failing quickly, so my first goal was to see the bottle kilns. However on the way I found plenty of other stuff...

The old medical room, really was something from another era...

IMG_5680-1.jpg

The lithographic stores, wrapped around a sealed-up bottle kiln...

IMG_5684-1.jpg

and then the bottle kilns with wares still in inside...

IMG_5687-1.jpg

I was disappointed though. I never realised it was part of a display. However, looking inside another two kilns showed they were full and looks like they were ready for firing a long long time ago. No pics of that.

Moulds stacked up on the shop floor...

IMG_5693-1.jpg

A train of trolleys waiting to go into one of the long kilns...

IMG_5695-1.jpg

In the same area...

IMG_5700-1.jpg

Horrible shot inside a kiln...

IMG_5702-1.jpg

And more...

IMG_5703-1.jpg

IMG_5704-1.jpg

There was a room with half a dozen different type kilns, each the size of a shipping container...

IMG_5706-1.jpg

IMG_5707-1.jpg

And finally, thought we could have a national UE exploring forum meeting in here, seemed almost quite apt...

IMG_5708.jpg