real time web analytics
Report - - The Derbyshire Royal Infirmary site in 2019, Derby | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - The Derbyshire Royal Infirmary site in 2019, Derby

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

MotionlessMike

28DL Regular User
Regular User
As redevelopment of the former Derbyshire Royal Infirmary site has finally just begun, I thought I’d do a 2019 compilation type report, as being between home and town centre for me it’s often a handy stop off point for fun and games. Especially if the car’s at Kwik Fit just up the road (which it often is).

I won’t drone on with any history as the hospital itself was demolished in early 2015, to make the site a more attractive proposition for developers. Annoyingly for me demolition began only a few months before I started becoming interested in UE, but it looked an absolute belter. But here’s what’s been left to sneak about in during 2019. Visited with many throughout the year including @oldboots @Gsxrwayne and @bmichelle

Towers

The most externally interesting leftovers are the two remaining sets of towers. The south tower has survived pretty much intact, whereas the neighbouring north tower had a large quantity of its lead pinched during 2017. Having never stepped foot inside the DRI I had no idea what was inside the towers, but I was hoping for a set of stairs that lead up to the dome and the roof. Spying an ambitious entry point @oldboots and myself finally entered, finding for all our efforts we’d been rewarded with one smelly, pigeony nurses bathroom and changing room. Oh well.

The two sets of towers are to be refurbished and given a new lease of life as cafes, gym spaces and for business use.

An old piece of Colorarti, now suspended in mid-air

Internal bog shot. The picture is courtesy of @oldboots as I was suffering from lensflairitis.

123-129a Osmaston Road

Just along the Osmaston Road perimeter of the site are 4 Victorian town houses.
The largest of which, 123-125 was used by the hospital as mixed offices and stores for nursing home and housekeeping departments amongst others. I’ve also heard it functioned as a Doctor’s surgery, there is disabled access at the rear, but whether this is actually true I’m unsure.

127-129a were divided up into flats as accommodation for Doctors and abandoned sometime in the mid 90’s and consequentially are rotten as fook.

My favourite wind-torn curtains

Wilderslowe House

Finally there is the grade II listed Wilderslowe House. Formally a private residence, latterly engulfed by the expanding hospital – it became the ‘School of Nursing’.

The unsympathetic rear additions are due to be demolished and the original house will be converted into ten flats.

Original fireplace surround detail

Enjoying the view

And a shot of Florence Nightingale to end

Thanks for looking.​

Last edited:

HughieD

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Thank you for that. Really enjoyed it. Some great decay and old wallpaper there. Those fireplace tiles are beautiful. Still time to take a look is is the place a no-go now @_motionlessinmike

MotionlessMike

28DL Regular User
Regular User
@HughieD there are construction workers and some machinery ready for landscaping down the far end where the towers are and Wilderslowe is well armoured up now. But if you're in the area you may as well have a stop off!

Last edited:

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Superbly done. That opener is a great looking building. The rest is just choc full of derpy goodness & some lovely architectural features. :cool: Cracking shots of love lost, the decay, old and sad, very inspired photos. Loved it:D:D:cool:

HorribleJellyfish

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Wow. This is such a beautiful site.
The picture with the armchair reminds me of that scene in Harry Potter where they goto fetch Slughorn and he turned himself into an armchair. Does that make sense? Hahaha. Anyway I really loves the shots. The one with the ivy through the window is amazing too ! Thanks for sharing.

vw_golf_nutter

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
looking for somewhere to visit tomorrow, does anyone know if the work has started yet? dont want to drive over an hour there to see some diggers! :-D

Who has read this thread (Total: 380) View details