real time web analytics
Report (Permission Visit) - The Gaumont Cinema, Union Street, Plymouth | Theatres and Cinemas | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report (Permission Visit) The Gaumont Cinema, Union Street, Plymouth

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Cortinalights

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Last chance to see inside the former Gaumont Cinema on the legedary Union Street in Plymouth. The building later became a nightclub and was known among other things as Millenium Club, Wharehouse and Blondz before closing in August 2004. Back 20 years ago and Union Street was the humming party street of the southwest but the pubs and clubs are pretty much all closed now. Whatever went wrong. Part of the answer lies in a conversation I had with a geezer who was recreating a photo of himself from a 90's newspaper which showed him being routinely searched for drugs on the way in. He said it was rated as one of, if not the best rave club in the UK at the time. I saw a band at the venue sometime before that but never went again. The building had been opened up as part of an arts' festival called the Atlantic Project, before it is converted into some sort of church.

IMG_2762.JPG

IMG_2756.JPG

IMG_2748.JPG

IMG_2742.JPG

IMG_2731.JPG

IMG_2718 - Copy.JPG

IMG_2712.JPG

IMG_2699.JPG

IMG_2696.JPG

IMG_2693.JPG

IMG_2692.JPG

IMG_2679 - Copy.JPG

Ethnic

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Saw the Ramones here late 70's. Involved in an a big reprisal against violent bouncers mid 80's and sporadic attendance in between, but not been there since.
Thanks for the chance to see it again

tatyr raker

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Oh gosh, my misspent youth! I recall it being three separate clubs circa 23ish years ago, those pictures being from the main theatre central part (Warehouse/Oz) There was a small club to the left (Sgt Pepper's?) and one on the right side/corner (Blondz).

Memories somewhat vague but Union Street was lively indeed.

Cortinalights

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Oh gosh, my misspent youth! I recall it being three separate clubs circa 23ish years ago, those pictures being from the main theatre central part (Warehouse/Oz) There was a small club to the left (Sgt Pepper's?) and one on the right side/corner (Blondz).

Memories somewhat vague but Union Street was lively indeed.
Yeah the photo of the person in silhouette walking towards the small screen was in Blondz apparently, never went in there but saw a band in the upstairs bit once, and remember coming back out into Union Street and it being quite a crazy time

Cortinalights

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Saw the Ramones here late 70's. Involved in an a big reprisal against violent bouncers mid 80's and sporadic attendance in between, but not been there since.
Thanks for the chance to see it again
No way man you saw the Ramones there! I would have loved to see the Ramones, and never knew they played in Plymouth. I saw Blancmange there in the 80s who were being supported by an up and coming Depeche Mode I think, anyway I want to be sedated

crazyjonhere

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Spent 5 hours in the place the first day it was opened to the public The general feeling is god tv will put in for 3 more years on their original planning application in next year and probably walk away from the place by 2021 Talk is that the place has become a massive money pit for them which sadly they just don't have the funds for Apparently developer KHH Ltd own the freehold and the rumor is they will more than likely demolish it in the end

Who has read this thread (Total: 417) View details