real time web analytics
Report - - The Gypsy's Tent, Bolton - June 2015 | Leisure Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - The Gypsy's Tent, Bolton - June 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

GRONK

Useful Idiot
Regular User
June 2015
This was a bit of a strange day, I wasn't really planning to head towards Bolton. But after seeing @Lavino's report a few hours before setting off I though it was worth a shot. The pub is located on a busy main road as is fairly easy to find. The premises are split into 2, the main pub is on the ground floor and there is a large function room on the 1st floor. Both floors are still furnished (but scattered all over the room) and still have the bars fitted. The downstairs bar is impressive as it doesn't appear to have been touched since the pub closed with open bottles of ale still on the bar and all the glasses in the racks.

History Of The Pub
The Gypsy’s Tent (or Gipsy’s Tent as it was spelt up until the nineties) was built in the 19th century. Although the pub’s address is on Deansgate it was severed from the rest of the street when Marsden Road bridge was built in 1877.

During the latter half of that century a band of travelling dentists would extract teeth at the rear of the building. As seems to have been common in Victorian dentistry a brass band was often present and would play tunes in order to drown out the patient’s screams.

The pub came into the hands of local brewers William Tong in the early part of the 20th century before being taken over by Walkers of Warrington in 1923. Walkers merged with Tetley’s in 1961 to form Tetley Walker but in August 1981 it was decided to put the Gipsy’s Tent (as it was then) up for sale.

A local firm, Bandmatic, took over the pub in 1983. They operated pool tables in a number of local pubs and had also bought the Rose Hill on Manchester Road, which they named Churchill's. The Gypsy’s Tent was renamed Winston’s when it reopened in September 1984 and a refurbishment saw the former three-roomed pub turned into an open-plan arrangement.

By 1989 Regal Knight Hotels were the new owners [3] and the pub was sold again in 1996 with the upstairs room transformed into Romany’s function room.

The Gypsy’s Tent was closed in 2007 and although it was put up for sale it appears not to have been sold. According to Bolton Council’s empty property list the owner is a company named PJM Trading Ltd although a company by that name based in Widnes was dissolved in 2011. Attempt to sell the pub appear to have been unsuccessful.​

IMG_5471.JPG

IMG_5403.jpg

IMG_5416.jpg

IMG_5422.jpg

IMG_5408.jpg

IMG_5417.jpg

IMG_5418.jpg

IMG_5393.jpg

IMG_5441.jpg

IMG_5448.JPG

IMG_5468.JPG

IMG_5454.JPG

IMG_5439.JPG

Cheers For Looking :thumb

WildBoyz

Is this the future?
28DL Full Member
Very nice that, you've captured it well. Looks like there's plenty to see.

coolboyslim

Mr Reality Hacker
28DL Full Member
Lol @GRONK you should of pm me I'm 2 mins from here. Was the squatters still here on the upstairs. And the dome is nice shame someone took the other out. Nice report m8ty. Did you see the other place quite nearby that's good also. But one section sealed now.

Lavino

28DL Full Member
Nice one @GRONK its not a bad place it it . Just needs a good tidy up haha like cbs said there's another place right close by you could have popped in.

GRONK

Useful Idiot
Regular User
Lol @GRONK you should of pm me I'm 2 mins from here. Was the squatters still here on the upstairs. And the dome is nice shame someone took the other out. Nice report m8ty. Did you see the other place quite nearby that's good also. But one section sealed now.

No squatters, although I didn't go right up to the top floor. I ended up at Fourgates and then went to Camelot on the way home.

Nice one @GRONK its not a bad place it it . Just needs a good tidy up haha like cbs said there's another place right close by you could have popped in.

Yea mate, didn't realise at the time, It's just an excuse to go again. Haha

Punk

Punkus Explorus
28DL Full Member
Looks like spoons after a 28dl meet :p It's in good condition considering it's been closed since '07
Cheers for sharing

belbz

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Visited there tonight. Thanks for the post. No squatters in the living quaters either.

Diggertron 5000

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Last time I checked this place out there were no squatters or signs of squatters. Went back a few weeks ago and it's sealed off.

coolboyslim

Mr Reality Hacker
28DL Full Member
It's been sealed for a while now. However the shop at side as recently opened up not sure what it's like inside ;)