real time web analytics
Report - - The Heights, Prep School, Surrey. September 2020 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - The Heights, Prep School, Surrey. September 2020

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

RXQueen

T-Rex Urbex
28DL Full Member
I see another great report was made yesterday about this place yesterday, this is my take on it.

Visited with @Chloe Explores on an overcast day, about 3rd on the list of explores where we had no joy.

A beautiful building set on a hill with a beautiful view. Im still not too sure how i managed the entry but rather proud of myself for managing it.

One end of the building is newer than the other linked by a breeze block corridor, the older end i believe was once a manor house and is decaying. It has 3 floors but we didn’t hang around to look round the top floor due to the buzz of a million wasps, the walls up there have been grafittied but the rest of the school is relatively free of it. the floors in the old building are dodgy in places and almost each room has a beautiful fireplace.

The newer part of the building has more modern rooms with the leff over wires of projector screens and the occasional whiteboard, each wall is made of breeze blocks. to the rear of the school are long wooden structures housing more classrooms and at least one can be accessed via a corridor from the main school.

There are some beautiful windows throughout though a fair few have been smashed, one room in particular was an absolute beauty of decay. on our explore we found are far easier access point that we left by, thankfully.

a lovely quiet undisturbed explore with just the 3rd floor wasps and some spiders for company. we did hear some noises and voices but they were from the nearby houses so was best to keep away from the windows at the front.

History -

The school was independent day school for boys aged 4-13 with a nursery for boys and girls aged 2-4.

The school closed in 2016 due to falling numbers and rising costs in recent years that meant the school, that was an educational charity, had become unviable. Although several options were explored to enable it to continue, in the end none would guarantee continuity for pupils and preserve the charity’s foundation. Haslemere Prep, which was founded in 1954, had 123 pupils and 30 staff at time of closure.

Plans have been submitted to demolish the school (february 2020) and to build 25 new houses after a previous application was refused. Objectors oppose the demolition of The Heights school on the grounds it was built by town resident Herbert Hutchinson, who designed up to 100 individually-styled houses in the town. Herbert liked to use a turret style to his buildings to create emphasis to the corner of the buildings. He laid out and built all the new roads within the estate, following the contours of the hillside and the ancient pattern of field development. Herbert was from a quaker family.

I don’t like Herberts road designs if i’m honest, he seemed to like hairpin bends. i think school pick up time would have been a nightmare.

i took over 400 pictures, a new record for me, so apologies for being pic heavy (not all 400)

Last edited:

Seffy

SWC
Staff member
Shame it’s been so shagged but you’ve managed to capture some redeeming features - good effort :D

K_RYPTO

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Where do you find all this info I want to get in more backstory of everypost I see but for some I can't find any so I'm wondering what bedsits you use

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
Where do you find all this info I want to get in more backstory of everypost I see but for some I can't find any so I'm wondering what bedsits you use

It's literally just a case of searching around on Google until you find the right thing. Places like the British Listed Buildings website, local news sites, local history websites it's not too difficult.

mari_54

28DL Member
28DL Member
I see another great report was made yesterday about this place yesterday, this is my take on it.

Visited with @Chloe Explores on an overcast day, about 3rd on the list of explores where we had no joy.

A beautiful building set on a hill with a beautiful view. Im still not too sure how i managed the entry but rather proud of myself for managing it.

One end of the building is newer than the other linked by a breeze block corridor, the older end i believe was once a manor house and is decaying. It has 3 floors but we didn’t hang around to look round the top floor due to the buzz of a million wasps, the walls up there have been grafittied but the rest of the school is relatively free of it. the floors in the old building are dodgy in places and almost each room has a beautiful fireplace.

The newer part of the building has more modern rooms with the leff over wires of projector screens and the occasional whiteboard, each wall is made of breeze blocks. to the rear of the school are long wooden structures housing more classrooms and at least one can be accessed via a corridor from the main school.

There are some beautiful windows throughout though a fair few have been smashed, one room in particular was an absolute beauty of decay. on our explore we found are far easier access point that we left by, thankfully.

a lovely quiet undisturbed explore with just the 3rd floor wasps and some spiders for company. we did hear some noises and voices but they were from the nearby houses so was best to keep away from the windows at the front.

History -

The school was independent day school for boys aged 4-13 with a nursery for boys and girls aged 2-4.

The school closed in 2016 due to falling numbers and rising costs in recent years that meant the school, that was an educational charity, had become unviable. Although several options were explored to enable it to continue, in the end none would guarantee continuity for pupils and preserve the charity’s foundation. Haslemere Prep, which was founded in 1954, had 123 pupils and 30 staff at time of closure.

Plans have been submitted to demolish the school (february 2020) and to build 25 new houses after a previous application was refused. Objectors oppose the demolition of The Heights school on the grounds it was built by town resident Herbert Hutchinson, who designed up to 100 individually-styled houses in the town. Herbert liked to use a turret style to his buildings to create emphasis to the corner of the buildings. He laid out and built all the new roads within the estate, following the contours of the hillside and the ancient pattern of field development. Herbert was from a quaker family.

I don’t like Herberts road designs if i’m honest, he seemed to like hairpin bends. i think school pick up time would have been a nightmare.

i took over 400 pictures, a new record for me, so apologies for being pic heavy (not all 400)

amazing

Who has read this thread (Total: 283) View details