real time web analytics
The Hotspur Press (Percy Brothers Ltd) - Manchester, March 2022. | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

The Hotspur Press (Percy Brothers Ltd) - Manchester, March 2022.

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
The Hotspur Press (Percy Brothers Ltd) - Manchester.

1(1).jpg

The Hotspur Press building is one of the City center's most distinctive industrial relics.

Originally known as Medlock Mill; formerly a cotton mill the complex was originally built on the banks of the River Medlock in 1801.

The mill had also been built to follow the shape of the river. On one side of the building, the walls curved outward, meaning the inside of the rooms were unusual shapes.

According to a map published in 1888, the building had by this point ended the first phase of its life making cotton, and was now a printing works, circa. 1901 owned by the Percy Brothers Ltd.

MAP.jpg

Even surviving a direct hit during the Blitz, Percy Brothers remained in operation until 1996. The building still bears it's fantastic signage.

35.jpg

Since this time, the building was used as a printing shop until 2011, by John Sherratt & Son.

Shortly after it was occupied by squatters until they were finally evicted on 6th July 2017.

The building now lies empty and derelict and is in a poor structural state of repair.

There has been many residential plans put forward for the re-purpose of the building, including a compulsory purchase order as part of Network Railā€™s extension works, none of which have ever come to fruition.

It's been a while since I poked about in a soggy derp, thought I'd stick summat half decent up as it's been a while..

I'd always had high hope for this place, but having seen pics from after the squatters departed it wasn't to be unfortunately.

Despite it's appealing exterior (you could forgive anyone for expecting anything less than epic), there isn't much of merit left behind, it's largely stripped and the printing presses have long since been weighed in.

I'm glad to have finally seen inside the place and had a good rake around, however it's not something I'd shout about sadly.

Also, no camera just some trusty iphone-tastics (sorry not sorry) :thumb

Ground/1st Floor and loading areas

2(2).jpg

3(2).jpg

4(2).jpg

5(2).jpg

6(2).jpg

7(2).jpg

2nd Floor

The curved section of the building had been partitioned off here unlike the others, probably when it was briefly rented out to 'Artists' in the mid noughties.

9(2).jpg

I guess someone likes pigeons :rolleyes:

8(2).jpg

The second floor was also home to the offices of "Hotspur House"

Here, the original entrance from the street below

10(2).jpg

Again partitioned off, a corridor leads of to a number of smaller rooms.

11(2).jpg

Although I did takes pics, I haven't shared largely down to lack of natural lighting and also being trashed by squatters, however I've attached a few interesting bits I did stumble on..

12(2).jpg

13(2).jpg

14(2).jpg

21(2).jpg

I nipped (ripped my pants) getting out onto the lower roof to admire the building :D

15(2).jpg

3rd Floor

16(2).jpg

17(2).jpg

18(2).jpg

Crack Den

19(2).jpg

Views looking into town

20(2).jpg

4th Floor

22(2).jpg

23(2).jpg

Again I nipped out on the upper rooftop for a butchers, I didn't rip my pants further.

24(2).jpg

Lastly I decided to nip down to the basement where the printing presses once resided.

It's more Lower Ground floor than basement tbh the way the floors are positioned, between what was essentially 2 buildings.

25(2).jpg

26(2).jpg

27(2).jpg

28(2).jpg

The best bit here was the workshop area, although small was also pitch black and dickhead here didn't fetch a torch, I had to arse about going back to the car and getting back in again, but was worth it.

One room which was clearly more modern was home to some long work benches and an electric drill

29(1).jpg

30.jpg

Another older room around the corner and was slightly more epic contained a lathe, more work benches/gubbins and also another drill (I think it is).

These were all belt driven from a large motor and a line shaft which ran across the top of the room

31.jpg

32.jpg

33.jpg

Finally a couple of externals of the Western elevation (rear) of the building as the River Medlock winds around it, including me stood on top of the long since demolished Birley's weir many moons ago ;)

34.jpg

36.jpg

albino-jay

g00n Buster
Staff member
Nice! Keep meaning to pop in here itā€™s one iā€™ve always wanted to see inside too and keep getting told to go to. Top job mate.

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Cracking photos. Some lovely og bits there. Liking the sign image shot from behind, and that alarm case is pretty nice. The sunlight projecting the graff is pretty great shot too. Nice

host

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice report. No alarms ? When I went they were going off but no one came, it was about 12months ago now.

bignickb

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Great shots mate!! Awesome stuff!
As for timing - I passed it today to see that it's been sealed up again.

HughieD

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Walked past this place several times in the evening on the way to gigs in central Manchester and wondered what was in here. Nice report @Ojay and decent set of pictures given you just had your phone.

Who has read this thread (Total: 304) View details