real time web analytics
Report - - The Odeon Cinema - Aylesbury - 14/8/09 | Theatres and Cinemas | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - The Odeon Cinema - Aylesbury - 14/8/09

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Speed

Got Epic Slow?
Regular User
Well this one was interesting, im not sure if i liked it or not really! The strange way its been tripled with a false main screen insted of just using the original screen makes the interior seem very false and modernised (even for a 70s triple) Vandalism since the first reports went up has been petty rife and alot of the seats have been kicked over ruining the 'intact' look of the place, the projector rooms have suffered too.

Thats said i fell in love with the little room at the front with its deco windows and epic Odeon sign that i must own one day! it was great to see the projector rooms still full of kit too, even if the main one was also full of pigeons!

One of the original Oscar Deutsch built Odeon theatres, the Odeon Aylesbury opened on 21st June 1937 with Shirley Temple in "Dimples".

The exterior has four vertical fins over the entrance, which have three narrow glazed windows between them. Inside the auditorium there were troughs across the ceiling which contained concealed lighting. Seating was provided for 954 in the stalls and 497 in the circle.

The Odeon was tripled from 26th August 1973 when it re-opened with "The Sword in the Stone" in the former circle screen which seated 497, "Lady Caroline Lamb" and "That'll be the Day" in the two mini screens in the former rear stalls which seated 99 and 108. The Odeon was re-furbished in 1984.

In late 1999, with ABC Cinemas about to open a new 6-screen multiplex in the town (now operated by Odeon), the Odeon was closed on 30th October 1999. The building was purchased by the Sainsbury supermarket chain, to enable a new store and car park to be built on the site. Planning permission has been given, but to date (May 2008) the closed-down former Odeon sits awaiting its fate.

Most of my pics came out a bit wank but i need to do a report to complete the set :D

Img_1326mod.jpg

Img_1332mod.jpg

Img_1296mod.jpg

Img_1305mod.jpg
Img_1310mod.jpg

Img_1298mod.jpg

Img_1321mod.jpg

Img_1358mod.jpg
Img_1315mod.jpg

Img_1323mod.jpg

Img_1316mod.jpg
Img_1320mod.jpg