real time web analytics
The old Head Post Office, Wolverhampton 28/06/18 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

The old Head Post Office, Wolverhampton 28/06/18

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Post-apocalyptic Pete

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
The History
Constructed in 1895 built in Northern Renaissance style, Grade 2 listed. Spread over 3 floors on the junction of Lichfield Street, Princess Street and Berry Street, it is an imposing building.
Once the head post office, continued in use for postal services for many years after the 1960s steel frame head post office was opened next door. Eventually sold and refurbished as offices and teaching rooms, and let to the University, who used it until 2007. The building carries one of Wolverhampton's biggest displays of terracotta
Angella Strelluk has found a reference to the building in Building News, 30th November 1894, which gives the architect as Mr. H. Tanner of Leeds and refers to "the terracotta from Ruabon".
(Taken from http://www.historywebsite.co.uk/listed/oldpo.htm)

Extra digging reveals that after the building was vacated in 2007, it was purchased by a local private developer. Change of use permission was granted by the council to allow for restaurant use, residential use and public entertainment (Concerts and theatrical displays) but for whatever reason, no developments have occurred since 2007. It has recently come up for sale.

The explore
More by luck than judgement! I won't go into details here, but given the method of entry, I literally had 20 minutes and the camera on my phone (Not even a torch, hence the poor quality (Even by my standards!) pictures) However given that I have not seen any pictures inside I decided 20 minutes was better than nothing! The inside has been almost completely stripped, but the work doesn't look recent; I wonder if work was carried out after the 2007 closure and then the money ran out? Certainly laid out in a confusing manner, the ground floor and basement are practically labyrinthine.
Anyway, on to the pictures:
50.jpg
51.jpg
52.jpg
53.jpg
54.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg
15.jpg
18.jpg
20.jpg
24.jpg
34.jpg
35.jpg
38.jpg
41.jpg
42.jpg
44.jpg
46.jpg
48.jpg
49.jpg

Last edited:

Post-apocalyptic Pete

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Have always wondered about this place- have to say I was a tad disappointed as I thought there would be more original features left but it has been stripped bare. Perhaps if I had longer to look round I would have found more but I was literally running round the place

Luke vaughan

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hey guys I always walk past it and the building design looks amazing and always wanted to go in it

Post-apocalyptic Pete

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Like I say it has been almost completely stripped, but it does retain one or two of its features; the interior is a little disappointing compared to the promise of the external terracotta walls and stonework

Luke vaughan

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Yea
Like I say it has been almost completely stripped, but it does retain one or two of its features; the interior is a little disappointing compared to the promise of the external terracotta walls and stonework
Ye even my mom and moms bf was looking at it with me and I said it looks empty inside

Post-apocalyptic Pete

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Walked past today, the place has been sold; it's Grade 2 listed so whatever happens the exterior will need to be maintained at least.