real time web analytics
Report - - The Royal York Hotel, Isle of Wight (Feb/2016) | Leisure Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - The Royal York Hotel, Isle of Wight (Feb/2016)

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

b3n

onehundredandthirtythree
Regular User
I'm sure a few of you have visited or at least seen the pictures of this place so i'll keep the background short..

History

The current Royal York Hotel was constructed in the 1930's to replace a popular Victorian hotel of the same name, during the 1960's the dancehall hosted bands such as Pink Floyd and Status Quo at the '69 club'.

The hotel closed in the late 2000's and has laid empty since. Work has recently started on the conversion of the building into a 30 bed hotel and flats.

The Explore

Following a tip off that the York was yet again open Truffle Pig and I headed out one evening to survey the current state and get some photos. The highlight of this trip was the discovery of a hidden loft filled with records dating back to the second world war.. Photos of the hotel being built, letters booking rooms or thanking staff.. Hours of fun!

The Photos

royal3.jpg

royal1.jpg

royal2.jpg

paperwork1.jpg

spiral.jpg

map.jpg

reception.jpg

office.jpg

safe.jpg

old.jpg

main%20hall2.jpg

map2.jpg

pooltable.jpg

records2.jpg

kitchens1.jpg

tea.jpg

washing%20machines.jpg

roof1.jpg

pan.jpg

Goldie87

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice, it's a great looking building. The paperwork sounds interesting too.

scrappy

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
great work, I want to have a look of that place but never found myself anywhere near it hahaha

SCARECROW

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Great pics, stayed there for a week in 71, that was a great stair well for a 7 year old to run up and down !!