real time web analytics
Report - - Thelwall Viaduct Northbound | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Thelwall Viaduct Northbound

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

NightPanther

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Visited here with Bigjobs ad SkyDiver after a long eventful day in Victoria Arches. Being scared or heights this was a big step for me but with a lot of encouragement from SkyDiver and the odd remark of 'Its not 100% safe and if you do certain things you will fall and die' From Bigjobs I plucked up enough courage to climb up into the bridge and abseil down after. Got to admit I kinda got a huge buzz from this and its one of my favourite explores I have done.

The Thelwall Viaduct is a steel composite girder viaduct in Thelwall, Warrington, England. It carries the M6 motorway across the Manchester Ship Canal and the River Mersey. Its location on the motorway network is between junctions 20 and 21 of the M6, the former being also known as junction 9 of the M56.

It actually comprises two entirely separate bridges, one carrying the northbound carriageway (opened in July 1963) and one the southbound carriageway (opened in 1995). Both viaducts are approximately 1.35 km long, with the longest span being 102.4 m over the Ship Canal.
In July 2002 a failed roller bearing was discovered and it became necessary to close all but one northbound lane. As the M6 at the time carried an estimated 150,000-160,000 vehicles per day, this led to serious congestion. The viaduct was not completely reopened to daytime traffic until February 2005, and subsequently remained partially closed at night for further remedial work to take place. In all, 148 bearings were replaced, with the repair scheme costing £52 million.

Heres my pictures, let me know what you guys think =]

SAM_0222.jpg

SAM_0223.jpg

SAM_0221.jpg

SAM_0227.jpg

SAM_0225.jpg

SAM_0226.jpg

All feedback is welcome, and taken onboard!

Last edited: