real time web analytics
Report - - Tin Tabernacle & Cars, Hampshire. October 2020 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Tin Tabernacle & Cars, Hampshire. October 2020

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

RXQueen

T-Rex Urbex
28DL Full Member
Visited with @Chloe Explores on a visit to some places in Hampshire.

A rather soggy day on and off with showers and downpours that reduced visibility to zero on the motorway and reduced me to driving like an old woman. But when we arrived the skies cleared and we thanked the gods of urbex for having pity on us.

Whilst a small place it was just so lovely to see, simple location and hassle free. We were approached by the owner of the cars as it turned out he owned a neighbouring business and i assume the church as they use it for storage. obviously his first question was what were we doing but he was fine about it and i had a lovely chat with the guy, he told me the church was built in 1890 and was a tin tabernacle.

The three cars, one of which is no longer recognisable as a car, were all Zephyrs that the owner said had been sat there for 25-30 years. he offered no explanation as to why but assume he used them for parts as each car had been stripped. After our chat he left us alone to continue our explore and photography. I loved the building i found it quiet quirky as something i’ve not come across before and the turquoise car was beautiful even in its state of decay. the third car amazed me how rotten and destroyed it was from simply being sat in some woodland for years.

History -

Unfortunately the guy didn’t have much history of the church other than what it was and when it was built, he also mentioned that they, i assume the council, want to pull it down.

Ive searched for any history thinking because of what it is there would be at leastw a bit of information available but i can’t find any and it’s actually really annoyed me. I have read that the church was in use for a couple of years before the current church was built, but i can’t find any info to corroborate this. the same info suggests that the trees and bushes shielding it from the road have recently been cleared which is how they found it themselves.

i did find a detailed article about tabernacles in general:

https://www.buildingconservation.com/articles/tin-tabernacles/tin-tabernacles.html

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Great explore. Looks very American in every way, the cars, the fields, the church with house in background. looks so USA. Love it :thumb

Who has read this thread (Total: 313) View details