real time web analytics
Report - - Tonfanau Quarry - Tonfanau (nr Tywyn) - February 2015 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Tonfanau Quarry - Tonfanau (nr Tywyn) - February 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

The Lone Ranger

Safety is paramount!
Staff member
Tonfanau Quarry – Tonfanau (nr Tywyn)

19_zpsbykqtgtx.jpg

History

Tonfanau quarry was run by Hanson until it closed in 1998, most of the plant and machinery was removed at this time. However like many of the derelict quarries in the area it seems to still produce local rock for local people, but on a very small scale these days.

Little is known about the quarry situated on the coast; quarrying started here in the late 1800s and that it is a granite only quarry which was very unusual as most quarry’s & mines in the area produced Welsh slate. Its claim to fame was that it's apparently one of the hardest granite in Europe.

Old steam engines brought the granite from the quarry to the main line Cambrian coast railway to be sent mainly around wales but also further afield.

Seafront houses and building on marine parade in Tywyn the nearest town were built from granite from the quarry’s early days, you can also still see granite curb stones on the high street which also originate from the quarry.

My Visit

I passed this place while out for a drive and wondered if it was worth a quick stroll; while researching history for the nearby Tonfanau Army Camp I found that one other intrepid explorer had visited the quarry the previous year and posted a report on here.

1_zpswiube5ca.jpg

18_zpsujjzz0mi.jpg

From the road it doesn’t look to be very extensive, however once you venture in there is enough to keep you interested especially the old diggers and trucks.

17_zps4tma8ohg.jpg

2_zpsnkiwcnjj.jpg

3_zps9vzxc3em.jpg

4_zpsrzfgihfq.jpg

16_zpsjcj7xwjs.jpg

15_zpsjqpgj4h1.jpg

12_zps1hjizmhc.jpg

On the lower levels are the remains of some kilns, probably dating back to the early days of the quarry.

14_zpseilckrwj.jpg

13_zpsohnd6orn.jpg

Unfortunately the quarries offices were secure, but old ledgers, newspapers and site notes were visible on the tables and shelves. One of the outbuildings was accessible which housed the control panel for the now removed plant and machinery.

5_zpsahxskcb4.jpg

The quarry is split over 3 levels, the upper 2 levels are fairly empty of interesting things, but still good to see and the climb up to 300 meters above sea level give you some stunning views, alone on the top of the hill with just buzzards and ravens for company.

10_zpsusrwjivt.jpg

9_zpsdeeo76dp.jpg

7_zpsfxtvfjnz.jpg

6_zps171scni5.jpg

There’s some interesting formations in a huge pile of rock fines, a small stream has cut its way through the pile over the years since the quarry closed.

8_zpspnljvltk.jpg

And finally at the top with a great view over the quarry and nearby town of Tywyn. A quick excursion took me to the summit of the hill and trig point.

11_zpswy40afes.jpg

A pleasant stroll around the quarry and some interesting old vehicles to keep me interested, All in all a pleasant couple of hours.

Cheers,

TLR.​

raisinwing

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Great stuff, I spent many a holiday around these parts when I was younger. There's an awesome shop selling honey flavoured ice cream in Tywyn!

trailboss99

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
It shits me to see usable if somewhat older machinery going to waste like that. Nice little mooch mate.

dai bach

28DL Member
28DL Member
I worked in the above said quarry for about 12 years till 1975 ,I don't ever remembering any kilns being there