real time web analytics
Report - - Tower Dean Culvert, Scotland - November 2016 | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Tower Dean Culvert, Scotland - November 2016

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

JordanT92

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
After scanning through old maps online looking for somewhere new to explore, I came across a culvert that appeared to run through a wide embankment which automatically meant I'd have to find out more and give it a visit. After diverging from the public footpath that lead towards the beach and using the stream as a route to get there, a friend and I found what I'd been eyeing up only a few days previous. I assumed the culvert would be almost entirely straight with maybe a slight bend, but I was very wrong.

This Culvert runs through a large earth embankment that carries the East Coast Main Line and would have been built around 1846 when the section from Edinburgh to Berwick Upon Tweed opened. At the time this was part of the North British Railway Company.

The outfall is quite impressive with a 10ft diameter (approx) culvert. The large wing walls, headwall and apron are composed of sandstone. The culvert itself is composed of vertical sandstone side walls and red brick arch. It's difficult to tell but I believe the sidewalls are vertical and don't curve towards the base producing more of a pipe like structure as seen in the photos. Concrete has been laid down to give a bowl like base I presume at a later date. Much of this has now eroded into deep pits and gullies, allowing for much ankle twisting and soaked trousers. Steel cable affixed to the walls aided the traversing greatly and helped with avoiding any sudden drops. The noise inside was unbelievable even with little water running through.

As you'll see in the photos, the culvert heads straight and takes a right hand bend which is then followed almost immediately by a left hand bend. A straight section continues before heading right again up a steep incline before turning left and straight up to the infall. I didn't photograph the infall as I panicked when I saw a blue light and wiring above the entrance. Whether there was a camera or not, I didn't hang around to find out and headed back. Judging by the markers in the culvert, it comes to around 160+ metres.
Overall it was a very enjoyable explore.

Thanks and I hope you enjoy the photos.
25372669319_235eafc253_b.jpg

Culvert Outfall with large wing walls. Notice the cut out in the wall on the right. This is a small culvert.

30705812350_30aa1beb18_b.jpg

Culvert outfall Portal.

30705804330_a73a690382_b.jpg

The first straight section. The layout of the culvert remains the same throughout- Vertical sidewalls and red brick arch with a profiled concrete base to giving a more cylindrical form.

30972092436_2e415e0015_b.jpg

The first bend heads to the right and almost immediately to the left. A small inlet pipe is visible in the corner.

25371547309_77ff656a1a_b.jpg

Calcite deposts adorn areas of the ceiling where water ingress is occuring. This section heads straight before bending to the right- You can just see it.

30705765850_936d405988_b.jpg

This is the straight inclined section after the right bend seen in the previous photo. I'm looking back towards the outfall this time.

30705715000_7d0d31a2a0_b.jpg

Another view of the quite severe inclined straight but further up this time around.

25371517159_5c094066e1_b.jpg

A final left bend leads to this straight upto the infall.

25372662079_b7a959ec1e_b.jpg

One final view of the outfall.

Thanks.

Last edited:

pastybarm

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I doubt there would be a camera, it could perhaps be a sensor for measuring flow? The first pic is impressive, like a jungle....

JordanT92

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I like this a lot, shame it's 400 miles away!

Agreed. And any cameras are also likely monitoring flow / blockages etc, not explorers!.
Yes it was a great explore and quite surprising too what with the sudden changes of direction. At least now if you're in the borders area you know of somewhere to head to.
Thanks for the confirmation on the light.

Last edited:

pastybarm

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Yeap, definitely for monitoring flow or something. I would imagine there are cameras or sensors in drains/sewers under certain sensitive areas in London though!

JordanT92

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
cool find! If its not been done before, you get 'naming rights' to it :thumb
Thanks. Funny you say that, I've been thinking of a name for it since I'm pretty certain it's undocumented. I'll come up with something and change the title.

JordanT92

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
How do I go by changing the name of the culvert? I can't find an option to edit. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.