real time web analytics
Report - - Townsend Fold Tunnel/Shelter, Rawtenstall, Rossendale, Lancashire | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Townsend Fold Tunnel/Shelter, Rawtenstall, Rossendale, Lancashire

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

CHEWY

Expert At Arseing Around
28DL Full Member

This tunnel was once used to bring down stone from Horncliffe Quarry.
The stone was then loaded onto carriages to be took wherever by rail.
(the same railway that is now the "East Lancashire Railway").
It runs under the hillside, under Bury Road, and a couple of fields before reaching the railside.

Later it was used as an air raid shelter.
The only evidence of this was a toilet and a rusty part of a lamp.
There is 3 parts to the shelter, each divided by a brick blast wall.

The tunnel has been blocked off around 60metres in :mad:

The Pics

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

AdamG

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hi could you tell me how I would get to this shelter? I'm local, haslingden. Thanks

AdamG

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Thanks man, I've got a pretty good lead from a lad on Facebook and a few other locations from him. I'll be heading down there tomorrow to check it out.

canute

货车司机和国王
28DL Full Member
Thanks man, I've got a pretty good lead from a lad on Facebook and a few other locations from him. I'll be heading down there tomorrow to check it out.
Good luck mate - tried to find this myself a few years ago without luck. Learnt a lot about the way mining activities change the landscape though which shows that you never completely fail if you keep your eyes open

Bolts

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Good luck mate - tried to find this myself a few years ago without luck.
I've got a pin if you want it mate? Like Chewy said it's been blocked part way in which makes it a bit tricky to locate above ground but it's easy once you know where it is :)

AdamG

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Good luck mate - tried to find this myself a few years ago without luck. Learnt a lot about the way mining activities change the landscape though which shows that you never completely fail if you keep your eyes open

Thanks man. Didn't end up going. We decided to check out a spot in crawshawbooth. An old quarry/mine called Pinner Quarry.

We managed to make are way in. Really good place to explore. Lots of tunnels going deep into the hill. Although there were sections that looked really unsafe so we didn't get to see it all.

I'll post pictures when I figure out how this site works. Only signed up a few days since and I'm still sussing it out.

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
Sorry man still trying to figure it out.
once you find the new thread part at the top of the forum you want to post in you can copy and paste the bbcode link from the flickr page when you go to share..there are links on here that explains it and im sure if you got stuck plenty of folk would assist you mate

AdamG

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
once you find the new thread part at the top of the forum you want to post in you can copy and paste the bbcode link from the flickr page when you go to share..there are links on here that explains it and im sure if you got stuck plenty of folk would assist you mate
Thanks man i'll give it a go :thumb