real time web analytics
Report - - Tuckers Maltings, Newton Abbot, Devon - November 2019 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Tuckers Maltings, Newton Abbot, Devon - November 2019

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Terminal Decline

28DL Regular User
Regular User
History
The firm was set up in 1831 by Edwin Tucker in Ashburton who traded as agricultural merchants, seedsmen and maltsters. His son, Parnell chose to move to the buildings current site, beside the railway, close to Newton Abbot train station in 1898. The building was designed by William Bradford and construction began in 1900, with the completed building containing four kilns, germinating floors and production machinery. Much of the original methods of production and machinery continued to be used until the buildings closure.
Closure of the maltings was announced in June 2018 with the firm saying that: “Operating on this scale has finally proven to be uncompetitive in the modern world and increasing capacity within the old traditional building would be very difficult while not jeopardising the quality of the product.”
Tuckers Maltings finally closed on 31st October 2018; it was one of only four traditional malt houses in the UK. The southern section of the building is still home to Tuckers taphouse and Teignworthy Brewery.
old photos of the building in use can be found here:
https://viewfinder.historicengland....=MALTINGS&county=DEVON&placeName=newton abbot

The explore
Visited with prettyvacant. We first had a go at exploring the building in May but shortly after got our cameras out several workers arrived and chucked prettyvacant out, leaving me to try and escape unseen. As soon as I realised we weren’t alone, I did the best I could and hid in the corner of one of the kilns and was inches away from being spotted when a guy came in the doorway to turn off the light. It took me a good while to make it out unseen, avoiding a dog at the bottom of one of the stairs along with the workers, who appeared to be dismantling some bits.
I didn’t manage to return until November and we were relieved to see that the previous entry method was still possible most of the building as it was before any most of lights still worked.
Pictures start on the ground floor, going up

_DSC2058 3.jpg

A view of the full length of the now disused section of the maltings

_DSC1900 3.jpg

The kiln furnace room. These were originally coal fired

_DSC1902 3.jpg

Furnace door

_DSC1908 3.jpg

The ground and first floors were mainly taken up by the germination floors

_DSC2012 3.jpg

I think the this room contains screening equipment for the barley

_DSC1919 3.jpg

One of the many 'Boby' barrows used to spread grain evenly over the germinating floor

_DSC1925 3.jpg

Grain hopper

_DSC1927 3.jpg

The grain hopper from above

_DSC1937 3.jpg

_DSC1997 3.jpg

On our previous visit this room was filled up with modern steel tanks

_DSC2038 3.jpg

Cap in the workers rest room

_DSC1992 3.jpg

More tanks

_DSC1990 3.jpg

Screening room which was set up as a museum prior to closure

_DSC2046 3.jpg

Line shafting in the screening room

_DSC1970 3.jpg

Walkway in the roof space

_DSC1954 3.jpg

More original machinery on the top floor

_DSC1941 3.jpg

One of the two complete kilns

_DSC1936 3.jpg

Two of the kilns were shutdown many years before closure

_DSC2003 3.jpg

Jacob's ladder bucket elevator, used to take grain to the top of the building

_DSC2025 3.jpg

The view from one of the elevator towers. The windows of the room at the top were covered in thousands of flys so I didn't stay up there for long

Thanks for looking

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
It's been a while since we've seen a Boby barrow!

That's one of the best preserved floor maltings left surely? I'd love to see it actually.

Brewtal

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Great to see this has been done at last! It was a sad day for the brewing industry when this piece of history closed its doors for the last time. Great report mate, I really wish I could get this one done myself!

Terminal Decline

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Last edited:

Terminal Decline

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Great to see this has been done at last! It was a sad day for the brewing industry when this piece of history closed its doors for the last time. Great report mate, I really wish I could get this one done myself!

Yeah its a real shame the building had to close, especially when its such a complete and rare example of what was once such a common and historic industry

Last edited:

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
:thumb Cracking this. Cant beat some lovely industrial snaps. Well worth your re try. I would of loved to see your first ninja escape lol.