real time web analytics
Report - - Turner Brothers Asbestos Factory, Rochdale - August 2023 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Turner Brothers Asbestos Factory, Rochdale - August 2023

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

joecl

28DL Member
28DL Member
The Turner Brothers Asbestos Factory in Rochdale was once the world's largest asbestos manufacturer, but today the derelict giant stands on the outskirts of the town, disused and dishevelled. Chemical testing in the 2010s had shown that the production of asbestos in this factory had severely contaminated the surrounding land, and the citizens of the area were rightfully unhappy. The area was turfed over, but the "Save Spodden Valley" campaign and local charities continue to express their concern about the toxic chemicals leaching onto their home land, and the crumbling riverbank nearby, which is a byproduct of prior factory shenanigans. Due to being disused, the empty insides are a sight to behold, and I had the pleasure of going to visit the factory in my hometown with a friend of mine last year.

We had been looking around at the factory floors for about an hour, when we went outside to check out entry to another of the sites many buildings. To our surprise, we met a fellow explorer who was an absolutely lovely man we had the great pleasure of exploring with. He had brought his FPV drone to take some footage of inside of the buildings, so we told him about the way in we found, and brought him along with us. When we parted ways he told us that if we were ever in his home town, we would have to get in touch. Encountering new friends is always a great positive to any urbex trip.

Additional notice, on the roof i spotted a crashed FPV drone that looked like it had been there for some time. If this is yours please get in touch via direct message or replying to this post, and ill try my best to get it back to you.

Attached are some of the many pictures i took in and on the buildings. I hope you enjoy the editing I performed for the sake of anonymity of my exploration partner...

p.s. This is my first post on this site so please do let me know if I've done anything incorrectly, I'm still learning.

sketch-1705799108258.png

sketch-1705799155223.png

sketch-1705799302481.png

sketch-1705799343364.png

sketch-1705799373628.png

sketch-1705799551484.png

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Love the opening shot. Decent first report, just add Rochdale in the title and you're pretty much good to go I'd say! I'd usually add a little more history, but to be fair it's one of those sites that has been done countless times it's not really as important.

Wastelandr

Goes where the Buddleia grows
Regular User
Very nice first post, as Dan says that first shot is ace. Wouldn't have minded a few more pics, look forward to seeing what else you come up with :thumb

TalkingMask

Professional Twat
28DL Full Member
The Turner Brothers Asbestos Factory in Rochdale was once the world's largest asbestos manufacturer, but today the derelict giant stands on the outskirts of the town, disused and dishevelled. Chemical testing in the 2010s had shown that the production of asbestos in this factory had severely contaminated the surrounding land, and the citizens of the area were rightfully unhappy. The area was turfed over, but the "Save Spodden Valley" campaign and local charities continue to express their concern about the toxic chemicals leaching onto their home land, and the crumbling riverbank nearby, which is a byproduct of prior factory shenanigans. Due to being disused, the empty insides are a sight to behold, and I had the pleasure of going to visit the factory in my hometown with a friend of mine last year.

We had been looking around at the factory floors for about an hour, when we went outside to check out entry to another of the sites many buildings. To our surprise, we met a fellow explorer who was an absolutely lovely man we had the great pleasure of exploring with. He had brought his FPV drone to take some footage of inside of the buildings, so we told him about the way in we found, and brought him along with us. When we parted ways he told us that if we were ever in his home town, we would have to get in touch. Encountering new friends is always a great positive to any urbex trip.

Additional notice, on the roof i spotted a crashed FPV drone that looked like it had been there for some time. If this is yours please get in touch via direct message or replying to this post, and ill try my best to get it back to you.

Attached are some of the many pictures i took in and on the buildings. I hope you enjoy the editing I performed for the sake of anonymity of my exploration partner...

p.s. This is my first post on this site so please do let me know if I've done anything incorrectly, I'm still learning.

sketch-1705799108258.png

sketch-1705799155223.png

sketch-1705799302481.png

sketch-1705799343364.png

sketch-1705799373628.png

sketch-1705799551484.png
That first shot is absolutely lovely, big fan

Gonna try do this one at some point soon, just trying to get the money for a solid set of ppe, the asbestos fibres aren’t fun!

joecl

28DL Member
28DL Member
That first shot is absolutely lovely, big fan

Gonna try do this one at some point soon, just trying to get the money for a solid set of ppe, the asbestos fibres aren’t fun!
It's one of the best spots in the area. I look forward to seeing your report if you make it in!

Bikin Glynn

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Decent first report. u must have more pics from here though the place is really quite photogenic, I assume mu found the labs there?

elizab2th

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Loved this place, last was there couple years ago and couldn't get in, looks great from the outside and your pics prove the insides just as good!!

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
You should consider a master class in Photoshop with Matty Holmes, fairly certain he'd be able to assist with editing :D

troll.png

JaffaTB

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
nice report, i was lucky getting in this place walked straight through an open door then when i came to leave i was locked in :rofl