real time web analytics
Report - - Twemlow fuel depot, (plus bits) Goostrey-10/02/07 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Twemlow fuel depot, (plus bits) Goostrey-10/02/07

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

R

romanian1

Id had a few places in the cheshire area id been meaning to go and recce for a while now and as they were all in a ten mile radius or so i decided to check them all out.

Firstly i tried Knutsford ROC post which judging from the pile of leaves and 5 foot tangle of brambles on it hasnt been visited for a long time, possibly since sub brits last visit in 2002, at which time they list its condition as good so hopefully its is still this state of repair, i never found out due to the double padlocking.:(

DSCF0362.jpg

Seriously overgrown compound

DSCF0365.jpg

Hatch found after 10 minutes of hacking through the brambles.

Anyway dissapointed we headed over to twemlow green to do the fuel depot.

Zoom Earth | LIVE weather map, storm tracker, rain radar

Id found this place doing a map search on the ads website due to there being a WW2 airfield fuel building there and it looked like an interesting site and after some research i ascertained it was for sale along with some other Defence estates property, which will be of interest to some of you no doubt.

http://www.defence-estates.mod.uk/property_sale/property_north/N_Jan_07.pdf

DSCF0397.jpg

Entrance.

DSCF0366.jpg

Looking out towards the site where the last picture was taken from inside the compound, note the blast wall in fornt of the building on the left and the large empty reservoir in the right foreground presumably for fire control.

DSCF0393.jpg

Network of pipes with overhead crane and one of the buried fueltanks in the background.

DSCF0368.jpg

Closer view.

DSCF0377.jpg

DSCF0374.jpg

DSCF0380.jpg

Tank entrance.

DSCF0387.jpg

Down at the bottom of the sloping walkway inside the tank bunkers, you could actually have got in the tanks but all the bottom parts were flooded and we didnt have wellies or waders, on the far upper left you can see part of a hatch which had a ladder going up it, agin this would have meant getting wet to get to, one for another time.

DSCF0390.jpg

DSCF0392.jpg

DSCF0395.jpg

After there we were bound for chelford but on the way stopped for a couple of pics of jodrell bank, just because its cool.

DSCF0406.jpg

DSCF0408.jpg

I want that as my house.:D

Chelford Ammo bunkers next, another ads find and looked very promising on flash earth:
Zoom Earth | LIVE weather map, storm tracker, rain radar

but actually turned out to be extremely dissapointing considering this was potentially i thought the best site, the buildings were there all right but all in use and all but one had been converted beyond recognition and any other remaining WW2 stuff demolished, my camera stayed in its case.

On the way back via an ice house in the grounds of astra zenecas massive alderley park complex we visited stamford lodge/huntingdon life sciences which i know has been done to death but i havent seen and ended up enjoying which slightly made up for the chelford dissapointment.

By this time it was freezing and sleeting and my camera lens was steaming up every time i replaced the lenscap and getting wet every time i took it off as you can see.:(

DSCF0432.jpg

DSCF0434.jpg

DSCF0437.jpg

DSCF0444.jpg

DSCF0449.jpg

DSCF0469.jpg

DSCF0478.jpg