real time web analytics
Report - - Tyne Marshalling Yard Birtley Feb 08 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Tyne Marshalling Yard Birtley Feb 08

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Northern Exposure

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
After seeing TD4's report this place has been high on the agenda. The site is still partially live, but the control tower has been out of use for some years.

The Challenge ahead

DSC_0101.jpg

xm657 and I were supposed to do this last week but due to flu on my behalf xm went along solo, however he found out a climbing rig is needed to get in. This week, it was xm who couldn't make it, flu, on his behalf, so I popped along to try my luck

The first floor was the most open spaced room in the building and suggested that it was used as a electrical workshop.

DSC_0043.jpg

All sorts of antiquated electronics are strewn around along with old technical drawings of electrical schematics

DSC_0044.jpg

DSC_0046.jpg

DSC_0061.jpg

DSC_0063.jpg

Remember old British Rail?

DSC_0047.jpg

A old locker room

DSC_0054.jpg

The next floor is the biggest server room I have ever seen. Racks upon racks of servers, switchgear and other control equipment.

DSC_0065.jpg

DSC_0067.jpg

DSC_0069.jpg

DSC_0072.jpg

DSC_0074.jpg

One for the gauge fans

DSC_0070.jpg

Up to the top floor for the real gem of this building. The roof has disintegrated and is fully open to the elements which has resulted in the main control room covered in green growth

DSC_0082.jpg

DSC_0084.jpg

There are two main panels, one facing North and the other South. Originally there was a dividing stud wall between the two rooms with only a service hatch linking them

DSC_0089.jpg

DSC_0090.jpg

DSC_0091.jpg

DSC_0094.jpg

I thought this was cool, A H&S guide to a microwave

DSC_0083.jpg

All in all a good explore and I'll be making a return visit soon with xm.

DSC_0099.jpg

Last edited: