real time web analytics
Report - - Unity Mill, Woodley 01-2014 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Unity Mill, Woodley 01-2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Mr JG

28DL Member
28DL Member
Hi All

First report here, so here goes!

-INFO-​

At Christmas, while waiting for food to be ready I all went out for a walk I spotted this mill, it looked abandoned so I gave it a look up on here (even though i'd be going anyways). Turns out someone (Inky) had done a report, so as I've only done 2 places before it thought it might be better to do a smaller time place. I did this solo, its a awesome experience if you can hack the pressure, plus with the building creaking in places it was certainly off putting for sure!

Unity Mill is located at Pole Acre Lane, Woodley. Google maps come in handy for this. Though its worth noting publicly (if the mods dont remove it) its hard to tell if the place has anyone in or about it, floors were re-concreted in places but there was signs of some life at some point but with no gear, so take that for what is it. I didn't explore everywhere as my head torch was rubbish and being on my billy didn't help my nerves :P but I know there is a basement.

-HISTORY-​

(Credit to Inky for history)

The mill buildings are considered to be of archaeological and historic interest and are included in the Greater Manchester Sites and Monuments Record (Ref MGM 3239). The mill is thought to have been constructed in the 1860s for spinning cotton and was formerly known as Trianon Mill. By the 1890’s the mill was converted to a rubber works, then back again to a textile mill. The site has been used for the manufacture of products for the food, animal feed and brewing sector until it closed in December 2003.

A former canal basin behind the mill is also recorded on the Greater Manchester Sites and Monuments Record, Ref MGM 14973 and is thought to have been built to serve the Hall Lane Colliery, established pre 1829. The wharf was later associated with the Mill. Although the canal bank is overgrown the outline of the basin is extant and the opportunity should be investigated in conjunction with the Council and British Waterways to restore this historic feature and facility as part of any future redevelopment scheme for the Mill.

Adjoining the southern boundary of Unity Mill site, south west of the mill building, is the site of the Coal Pit Fields. Now an overgrown wooded area this site is also included in the Greater Manchester Sites and Monuments record (Ref MGM 14974). The site is shown on the 1871 OS Map and is another feature of the area’s historic growth and development associated with the coal mining, textile industry and the canal which could provide a source for recreation and an opportunity for heritage interpretation.

-Photo's-

12020864846_1bc5ef172d_b.jpg

12020308743_3621dceee5_b.jpg

12020857816_d2015fec74_b.jpg

12020087365_fa6a3b3675_b.jpg

12020878126_b28fa72e35_b.jpg

12020052955_7ac5b19e14_b.jpg

12020907906_ff003f5314_b.jpg

Thanks for looking!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jamheadjames500/

Last edited: