real time web analytics
Report - - Upper Mills, Slaithwaite - July 2015 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Upper Mills, Slaithwaite - July 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Fudge

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Slaithwaite is a strange place that's at a strange point in its life. Everyone seems to think that the heavy industries of the area are on their arse, however when you dig deeper that's not the case. Yes, compared to last century there's probably a fifth of the volume of trade there, however places like this remind you that it's not all about mass production in China (topical considering the headlines). There's still a few folk about that know their stuff and are keeping the local industry alive along with the generations of knowledge and skill that have been built up within the area.

With my family originally coming from the area, I've had a strange relationship with the valley. I've never really liked it, but the more time I spend there, the more I enjoy it. Especially with this hobby, seeing the connection between each mill you explore; boxes for example, in this mill, labelled with the branding of Premier Hank Dyers which we had a run around earlier this year. The industries are still running, however they go unnoticed by us mere mortals.

I will always have fond memories trundling around with the usual lot off here hunting for the next epics whilst eating good pastries, this being one of the places that we found. Funnily enough, eating a pastry I was when I spotted a way in.

Anyway, enough rambling, here's the main shop floor.

19847062148_5da102b284_b.jpg

20035166325_3a1f68b41d_b.jpg

20008880776_92a5d439bf_b.jpg

Moving a bit deeper into the mill we found an office, a stock room and a passageway with some wool packaged up ready for delivery.

19848511829_d3ff13dd9e_b.jpg

Coming back towards the front of the mill we decided to look at ways of getting into other rooms. Up until now we'd only seen one small section of the building as it has been segregated into smaller units. Anyway, we opened an unassuming green door and hit the jackpot.

19847079108_d2f5ca11ef_b.jpg

Yep, it's just a greasy cog, I know. WRONG - from what I can gather, it is a remnant of the beastly Pollit & Wigzell steam engine 'Lizzie' which used to power the mill but is now in storage at Masson Mill, Matlock. One thing that I did find odd about the engine is that it was commissioned in 1910, however purchased second hand by Elon Crowther & Son to power Upper Mills and installed in 1924. If only it was still in-situ.

1356689_56873676.jpg

With no luck on accessing the rest of the mill, we looked for other avenues. A missing brick in the shop floor's wall teased us with more to see but it wasn't to be.

19414195693_e54c6d6853_b.jpg

Apologies for the poor pictures (in terms of both variety & quality). The whole thing was a bit rushed camera-wise when Tweek & I realised that it wasn't quite so abandoned. I'm sure he'll be along with some film crackers and some history on the place soon enough.

A final apology goes to jST - I thought you'd be working :(

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Yeah it is often surprising how much textile industry there still is. We were shocked to find 100 vintage Wildt spinning machines alive and kicking in a corner of the Corah site churning out hosiery. As you say it seeks to lie low in much smaller buildings these days rather than in monster mills but it's still there humming away.

Keep them coming lad ;)

Fudge

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice wong! Enjoyed that read.

I actually posted my 35mmers already.

Hadn't seen that, just spotted it at the bottom of this page! Will have a gander.

Yeah it is often surprising how much textile industry there still is. We were shocked to find 100 vintage Wildt spinning machines alive and kicking in a corner of the Corah site churning out hosiery. As you say it seeks to lie low in much smaller buildings these days rather than in monster mills but it's still there humming away.

Keep them coming lad ;)

Yeah, definitely a hidden industry sorta thing going on. Personally I love these places we keep coming across that are still running. Feels like more of a connection with the area than your regular derp.

jST

LLS.
Regular User
I'll let you off, chances are I wouldn't have fitted through those bars anyway.

Fudge

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Like you said, Sudehill. Bastards.

EDIT: We'll make up for it and get together for an epic lol day.