real time web analytics
Urbex and Music | General Exploring Chat Forum | Page 2 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Urbex and Music

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Parky

The Devil Is in the Details
Regular User
I completely get what you mean, any sort of tunnel/culvert i explore always reminds me of dlp1.0 by william basinski, this 60 minute ambient loop which just blows my mind! It just gives off this underground, dark and trapped vibe, when i did megatron i listened to his album lamentations which is very similar, its really adds to the experience, you all should try some of William basinskis music, its really good!

Parky

Regular User
AP
Interesting thread, and I'll probably end up repeating what's already been said, but....

I think all experiences benefit from being augmented by a soundtrack, and UE is no exception. As a matter of course, exploring isn't usually directly accompanied by this soundtrack (with the exception of drains on the rare occasion that I actually remember to pack my waterproof Bluetooth speaker). However, I think that the character and intensity of many UE experiences, and the way we reminisce to relive them after the event, is sometimes best evoked by particular sounds or soundscapes.
All explores have their own associated ambient noise - whether it's the hum of industry, the white noise of water running in a drain, the bird song in an early morning derp or the jarring scream of an unexpected alarm. So we go and we take photos, but that's only capturing one dimension of the experience. Whilst music won't directly replicate the sonic experience of a place, it might help to generate an associated mood. Music is an emotional thing, isn't it? And, as has been noted, it's also a personal, subjective thing, so everyone's associations and tastes will inevitably differ.
For what it's worth, my musical associations are also usually electronic and / or instrumental. Here's a short and non-definitive list of albums that come to mind.
  1. Tim Hecker - Ravedeath 1972
  2. Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works
  3. Guy Andrews - Our Spaces
  4. Bicep - Bicep
  5. Loscil - Monument Builders
  6. Godspeed You! Black Emperor- F sharp, A sharp, Infinity (note that Godspeed also have their own tenuous UE link via the soundtrack of the film 28 Days Later)
  7. Ben Frost - The Centre Cannot Hold
  8. Burial - Burial
That's enough w(h)ack from me.
APHX TWIN! I was listening to drukqs when reccying some of 36DD in the start of the year.

Parky

Regular User
I completely get what you mean, any sort of tunnel/culvert i explore always reminds me of dlp1.0 by william basinski, this 60 minute ambient loop which just blows my mind! It just gives off this underground, dark and trapped vibe, when i did megatron i listened to his album lamentations which is very similar, its really adds to the experience, you all should try some of William basinskis music, its really good!
another few artists i listen to sometimes while doing these explores are: burzum, merzbow, afx, venetian snares, boris (no not our pm lmao), death grips, have a nice life, MF DOOM, mr oizo, shitmat, squarepusher, the caretaker, slipknot, yellow swans, u-ziq. anyone else listen to any of these artists?

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
another few artists i listen to sometimes while doing these explores are: burzum, merzbow, afx, venetian snares, boris (no not our pm lmao), death grips, have a nice life, MF DOOM, mr oizo, shitmat, squarepusher, the caretaker, slipknot, yellow swans, u-ziq. anyone else listen to any of these artists?

Been a huge Venetian Snares fan for the last fifteen or so years, Squarepusher, u-Ziq and Aphex Twin too.

Parky

Regular User
Been a huge Venetian Snares fan for the last fifteen or so years, Squarepusher, u-Ziq and Aphex Twin too.
oh shit another venetian snares fan!!! i fucking love venetian snares, im getting chocolate wheelchair vinyl and einstein rosen bridge vinyl for birthday or Christmas!!! super excited, whats ur favorite album by him?

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
oh shit another venetian snares fan!!! i fucking love venetian snares, im getting chocolate wheelchair vinyl and einstein rosen bridge vinyl for birthday or Christmas!!! super excited, whats ur favorite album by him?

It's very very difficult to single out one favourite from his vast discography - but Meathole, Find Candace and Doll Doll Doll are total powerhouses of the genre.