real time web analytics
Report - - Ushaw College, County Durham..March 2024 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Ushaw College, County Durham..March 2024

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Visited this place on the way home from Scotland. It’s been around forever and an urged classic. Sadly it’s seen better days with severe deterioration and a large fire in the chapel. But I still liked it a lot, it still had a charm about it and you could still see nice features. Sadly I missed the pool as was not sure were it was, so I tried again on another trip home as I hate missing things. So rocked up and took the walk to it only to find the entry point I used well sealed up. Oh well was still pleased with what I saw and the pool is trashed now. I don’t think I have been in a building that was so dangerous for a long time. The upstairs is literally a rotting mess with big holes in the floors and many very green and soft. I did not venture to far for my own safety.
Ushaw college was a former catholic seminary which closed in 2011 due to dwindling numbers and vocations on offer. The college started as St Cuthberts college in 1808 with a few buildings. The college expanded rapidly with the chapel built in 1847, this was followed by a library and exhibition hall. A second chapel was opened in 1884, this replaced the earlier chapel. The last development was the east wing which opened in 1847 and provided classrooms and single bedrooms. When the college closed the Durham business school moved in part of it whilst its own buildings in Durham were being built. The university also developed an international residential library at the college as well as extending a lease on the business school in the east wing. The business school was replaced in 2018 Durham university’s centre for evaluation and monitoring. The seminary is also a visitor attraction that attracts fifty thousand visitors a year.

The sad remains of the chapel.

IMG_7336.jpeg

IMG_7337.jpeg

IMG_7338.jpeg

IMG_7339.jpeg

IMG_7341.jpeg

IMG_7340.jpeg

IMG_7342.jpeg

IMG_7343.jpeg

IMG_7344.jpeg

IMG_7345.jpeg

IMG_7346.jpeg

IMG_7347.jpeg

The big hall upstairs was fantastic but a real death trap.

IMG_7348.jpeg

Various rooms up top.

IMG_7349.jpeg

IMG_7350.jpeg

IMG_7351.jpeg

IMG_7352.jpeg

IMG_7354.jpeg

IMG_7355.jpeg

IMG_7356.jpeg

IMG_7357.jpeg

IMG_7358.jpeg

IMG_7359.jpeg

IMG_7360.jpeg

IMG_7361.jpeg

IMG_7362.jpeg

IMG_7363.jpeg

IMG_7364.jpeg

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Nice update, sad to see though. Looks very dangerous in places. Great shots though. Some lovely chimneys still standing 👊

Krypton

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Thanks for the recent photos, such a shame to see it looking so sad. Spent so much time here back in the day!