real time web analytics
Report - - Waggon & Horses, Essex - August 2011 | Leisure Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Waggon & Horses, Essex - August 2011

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Madaxe

Always been the caretaker
28DL Full Member
The Waggon & Horses has gone now.
Closed for good on 18 August 2007 and demolished in September 2011.

FontCopy.jpg

The original pub on this site, going by the same name and standing much closer to the road, is said to have stood for almost 300 years. It was kept in 1851 by James Newton, and later by various members of the Potter family.
The later pub, built by former local builders JA Elliott & Sons, was unique in Bishops Stortford because it was designed by a woman – a Mrs Cotton, and it was another woman Mrs EM Smith, chairman of the Stortford bench, who drew the first pint when it opened in May 1957.

A managed house until 1967 it was first taken over by Ind Coope then by Punch Taverns who sold it as part of a package deal of 869 pubs to Admiral Taverns in April 2007, but their tenure was brief.
Despite the addition of a small motel next to the pub in 2004/5, falling trade made the pub uneconomical to run.

I couldn’t get access to the pub itself, but the hotel was unlocked so I managed to get a few pictures of that and the grounds before the whole place was flattened.

Returned a week or two after my original visit with UX to get a better look but we pulled up to a pile of rubble and bar stools.

Sorry about the flash photography inside. I ran in on my way home from work and didn’t have my pod or torch with me so hip-shots all around!

Side
SideCopy.jpg

Back
BackCopy.jpg

Small hotel on the side
HotelCopy.jpg

Hotel entrance
HotelEntranceCopy.jpg

Hotel10Copy.jpg

Hotel11Copy.jpg

Hotel9Copy.jpg

Someone had been squatting here I think
Hotel8Copy.jpg

Hotel7Copy.jpg

Loads of stuff left behind
Hotel6Copy.jpg

Hotel5Copy.jpg

Hotel4Copy.jpg

Hotel3Copy.jpg

Hotel2Copy.jpg

Hotel1Copy.jpg

Hotel12Copy.jpg

For anyone interested in the history of the land it was built on I found this archaeological excavation they did on the place back in 2008.
Prehistoric, Romano-British and medieval finds all mentioned. Quite an interesting read if you get off on that kind of thing…:thumb
Wagon and Horses, Bishop's Stortford | PDF | Excavation (Archaeology) | Archaeology

This is a picture of the trenches found beneath the property.
trenchesmap.jpg

Thanks for looking
MDX
:)