real time web analytics
Report - - Walkleys clog mill - Mytholmroyd - may 2015 | Leisure Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Walkleys clog mill - Mytholmroyd - may 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

merryprankster

Conrod the Barbarian
Regular User
Evening all,
So whats the first thing you think of when you think yorkshire?? tea? pudding? terriers?? im going to assume its not the production of little wooden shoes! however, low and behold here we have just that, originally producing some of the finest wooden brothel creepers in the north, the walkleys clog mill turned into a popular tourist attraction throughout the 80s but tragically fell upon hard times during the 90s and also suffered a substantial fire which wrote it off as an attraction, walkleys sold the site and planning was passed for conversion to apartments back in 2006 however nothing has been done with it since.

The explore
Didnt make much effort taking photos here, if you can imagine mac from predator when hes got the mini gun and hes tearing down the rain forest with it, that's basically what i did with my camera, i ran around the place in about 6 mins with the camera on auto, barely standing still to take shots, the rest of the time i was playing in ball pits, sliding down slides and playing in wendy houses. This place is great fun, it's nothing beautiful to look at but there is plenty going on in the place and its just a great little explore to have a good time and a mess around in! When we pulled up we were greeted by a couple of other "explorers" who it turns out had been pottering about for about 20 minutes trying to find a way in, not sure if explorers was the right term for these boys as they werent really built for this past time bless em. After a quick scout of the perimeter we found our way in, the two big guys stood and watched sad faced as we did things they knew they wouldn't be physically able to, oh yeah this was after one of the big lads invited me to kick a door in with him....hmmmm yeeeeah-maybe another time mate?!? :???::???: Anyway yeah so we managed to get in without any potential criminal damage or breaking and entering charges, we were on the first floor and i had just started fiddling with a piece of old machinery when i hear the pissing alarm going off, the other 3 had gone down to the ground floor and set it off, we bailed out onto the roof and waited out the alarm and to see if any secca turned up, no one turned up but looks the like ground floor is out of bounds kids! knowing this we headed up to the second floor where we found the slides, ball pit and other fun stuff, santas grotto, weird little dolls, manakins, loads of really random stuff in this place, hence why its a little pic heavy, not because ive takem loads of good photos, just because there was so much going on in the place!

Toffee and taste l'histoire

Walkley Clogs is a clog factory where the great British clog is manufactured in its entirety. The company was started by Frank Walkley in 1946. The main styles manufactured at that time were the Safety boot clog, Derby, Gibson and the Bar clog. With slipon styles being produced much later. In 1978 Frank Walkley bought out the famous Maude clog sole works in Hebden Bridge, a company that at its hey day had over 100 employees that turned nothing but clog soles! Walkey Clogs still uses the old machines for turning the wooden clog soles, and manufacturing the irons. The clog making skills used are those skills that have been passed down from generations of Walkley Clogs clog makers. Many of our older clog customers will remember Gordon and Nelson real lovely characters, and John who only recently retired a few years ago.. and not forgetting Arthur who up to 86 years of age still worked making the Walkley clogs for two days a week.

Walkey Clogs is proud to keep the old traditional styles and over the years has manufactured many more styles that fit in with today’s markets. Most years Walkley Clogs are seen on the cat walks, and every year work with budding fashion designers who always have their own ideas on clog design. Today Walkley clogs manufactures a wide range of styles of clogs which include wooden sandals and slip-ons and various types of boots and shoes in a good selection of colours. The uppers used are mainly leather but also a non leather clog can be manufactured if required. The company also produces a lovely range of children’s clogs styles and supplies clog dance teams in the UK with dancing clogs. Walkley clogs produces 40 styles plus and offers to make up custom made clogs in any style and any colour.

and some photolaughs

18461988920_3895f82bb6_b.jpg

18027228094_14080a9fdf_b.jpg

18649909595_5720d92b97_b.jpg

18649960315_e724d4597e_b.jpg

i dont bloody think so!!

18462103350_c18b0647f1_b.jpg

18029205243_7b4c952af0_b.jpg

18027111154_8f19437a04_b.jpg

18645160542_6b75825769_b.jpg

18645082112_c49eb3e1aa_b.jpg

can you spot the mouse!!

18463579039_aa8363813c_b.jpg

18026988144_fbb5e42d2d_b.jpg

18623254436_2414c3ac64_b.jpg

18461903540_240c953b03_b.jpg

18461873188_dd15db5ced_b.jpg

18623237956_d40e8df13e_b.jpg

18644877442_a65f4f1e17_b.jpg

18461801020_15abcbacc2_b.jpg

18645034902_2f57c59308_b.jpg

...playing the waiting game

18651494205_426d0735f7_b.jpg

thanks for you looking kids, take it sleazy!!

Telf

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Looks good this place, nice photies, liking the till and ol machines :thumb

merryprankster

Conrod the Barbarian
Regular User
Good to see you're still getting out and about mate, love the rooftop pic waiting it out!

yeah still getting about mate, off down south this weekend to check out a few bits+ i've got a few explores worth of pics i need to do reports on that are on my old busted laptop that i still need to get recovered.

coolboyslim

Mr Reality Hacker
28DL Full Member
Oh my God looks a right laugh this great report. At least you didn't lose any torches in that ball pit and got another search going. Not like someone else around here lol awesome stuff loved it

UrbanD3cay

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I visited here a couple months ago, the ball pit makes it so much more fun :D Nice report mate :thumb

Bigian88

The Massive Mancunian
28DL Full Member
Some great shots, even for 'auto' :)

The story was short but entertaining too, nicely done buddy.