real time web analytics
Report - - Walsgrave Hospital - Coventry - 03.12.06 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Walsgrave Hospital - Coventry - 03.12.06

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

turkey

Pure bellend
28DL Full Member
Took a trip over to the old walsgrave hospital site in coventry with dweeb, after being embarassed that we hadnt realised it was being demolished. This place didnt have a derelict spell at all really. The local hospitals are being demo'd to make way for the "super hospital" which is located onsite here.

It was pretty much stripped out but with some interesting features. Well worth a look if your swinging by or if you are local.

here's a few pics

Symetrical Facade
wal1.jpg

Demo'd Rear
wal2.jpg

Private Ward
wal3.jpg

Lamp..attempting depth of field again..lol
wal4.jpg

Colourful Window
wal5.jpg

New hospital through window
wal6.jpg

Awesome clock
wal7.jpg

Staircases
wal8.jpg

Gem of a find, the original plans
wal9.jpg

Stainless Steel Lift
wal10.jpg

Flat Roof
wal11.jpg

The new "Super Hospital"
wal12.jpg

Dweeb admiring the view
wal13.jpg

The welcome foyer
wal14.jpg

Minging staircase
wal15.jpg

Newspaper Shop
wal16.jpg

Hospital Radio...banging the tunes
wal17.jpg

I love this picture...
wal18.jpg

turk ;)

Styru

Admin
28DL Full Member
Re: Walsgrave Hospital - Coventry - 03.12.06 - Report

Ah crap, forget my comments about the operating theatres:

They are the section thats been demolished in this shot by Turkey: (the black windowed section on the first, second, and third floor were the theatre changing rooms, coffee rooms and offices)
wal2.jpg

Anyone going might like to try the basement, it used to have tunnels that led from the main hospital to the maternity block (still standing and having asbestos removed), the doctors residence (still standing I think) the six storey nurses nome (sadly pulled down a few years back) and the main boiler room.

Someone has commented on this place not being very old - its not (early 70's) - but in those days they built using cancerous concrete, wrapped in asbestos!

This places main claim to obscurity is that the TV series 'Angels' was filmed there (the BBC bastards used to wake us up - starting filming at first light during the summer)

For those that like architecture on a grand scale the basement also has access doors to the main plemun chambers, these were part of the air conditioning/heating system, and were a pair of rooms about the size of a tennis court, but the full height of the building (7 floors including the basement)

Oh, and a final thought for those that like rope work - Myself and two friends that also worked here were given formal warnings by the Hospital in 1984 for absailing down the front of this building (the bit with the 'faces' on in Turkeys shot below)
wal1.jpg

Last edited:

Kate Richmond

28DL Member
28DL Member
Hi,
I used to work at Walsgrave Hospital and walked from place to place via the tunnels. Do you have any further pictures pf the tunnels please?
(I’m fascinated by old buildings, particularly ones with which I have a personal connection). If you do have any further photographs I would be very interested to see them. Thank you in advance, Kate