real time web analytics
Report - - Wanstone farm battery. May 2023 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Wanstone farm battery. May 2023

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Mrbrown85

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
This is my first proper post so sorry if it’s not to good.
Had a good old explore today from st Margret deep shelter to ROC station near fan bay, but on the Google map I saw something interesting.
This is copied from national trust.

September 1941, construction began at Wanstone Farm, between St Margaret’s and Dover, for two, 15-inch guns. These would use spare barrels originally designed for the Queen Elizabeth-class battleships, that were produced from 1914 until 1947. Although of an older design, these guns were faster to load and aim, and the visual fall of shot calibration was replaced by radar.

With barrels weighing over 100 tons (102 tonnes), the mounting around 70 tons (71 tonnes), and set in approximately 2800 tons (2850 tonnes) of reinforced concrete set deep into the chalk, these guns were the largest, breech-loaded, longest-range weapons to have ever been installed on the British mainland. Not only could these guns be used against shipping – they were capable of attacking targets on the French coast and for several miles inland, though this was not in the original plan.

Throughout the cold winter of 1941/2, concrete (mixed on site in large batching plants) was laid, the heavily protected magazines constructed, and other infrastructure put in place. Commissioning of the first gun, dubbed ‘Jane’ after 'Just Jane', the raunchy Norman Pett cartoon character that appeared in the Daily Mirror from 1932 to 1959, took place on 20 April 1942. Approximately 400 metres away, work had already started on the sister gun, named ‘Clem’ after Clement Atlee, the deputy Prime Minister. Commissioning of Clem took place on 22nd May 1942.

IMG_3194.jpeg

IMG_3196.jpeg

IMG_3197.jpeg

IMG_3199.jpeg

IMG_3200.jpeg

IMG_3202.jpeg

IMG_3208.jpeg

IMG_3210.jpeg

IMG_3209.jpeg

IMG_3211.jpeg

Beachbum

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
This is the Site of "Jane" and the other of "Clem" is due to be worked on next year. I was part of a private Tour that went to Fan Bay and Wanstone last week.

Mrbrown85

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
This is the Site of "Jane" and the other of "Clem" is due to be worked on next year. I was part of a private Tour that went to Fan Bay and Wanstone last week.
I looked on Apple Maps again after finding out it was part of a pair but couldn’t see any indication of where it is. Do you know the location of it?

Mrbrown85

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Not seen this before. Interesting, especially with those archive pics.
I pulled them from national trust site, they have more pics and info on there. Being my first post I was unsure of how much info to include.

Exploring With Pride 🌈

Exploring with pride in more ways than one
28DL Full Member
We explored that last year did clem then jane then headed to the aa battery wer we bumped into a group of the volunteers who told us we shouldn't be there after we said sorry we didn't realise they said well as we were there they may as well show us around and they gave us a tour 😂

Exploring With Pride 🌈

Exploring with pride in more ways than one
28DL Full Member
This is my first proper post so sorry if it’s not to good.
Had a good old explore today from st Margret deep shelter to ROC station near fan bay, but on the Google map I saw something interesting.
This is copied from national trust.

September 1941, construction began at Wanstone Farm, between St Margaret’s and Dover, for two, 15-inch guns. These would use spare barrels originally designed for the Queen Elizabeth-class battleships, that were produced from 1914 until 1947. Although of an older design, these guns were faster to load and aim, and the visual fall of shot calibration was replaced by radar.

With barrels weighing over 100 tons (102 tonnes), the mounting around 70 tons (71 tonnes), and set in approximately 2800 tons (2850 tonnes) of reinforced concrete set deep into the chalk, these guns were the largest, breech-loaded, longest-range weapons to have ever been installed on the British mainland. Not only could these guns be used against shipping – they were capable of attacking targets on the French coast and for several miles inland, though this was not in the original plan.

Throughout the cold winter of 1941/2, concrete (mixed on site in large batching plants) was laid, the heavily protected magazines constructed, and other infrastructure put in place. Commissioning of the first gun, dubbed ‘Jane’ after 'Just Jane', the raunchy Norman Pett cartoon character that appeared in the Daily Mirror from 1932 to 1959, took place on 20 April 1942. Approximately 400 metres away, work had already started on the sister gun, named ‘Clem’ after Clement Atlee, the deputy Prime Minister. Commissioning of Clem took place on 22nd May 1942.

IMG_3194.jpeg

IMG_3196.jpeg

IMG_3197.jpeg

IMG_3199.jpeg

IMG_3200.jpeg

IMG_3202.jpeg

IMG_3208.jpeg

IMG_3210.jpeg

IMG_3209.jpeg

IMG_3211.jpeg
Nice report

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Nice 1st report. Great images, and the old photos really make the report. Well done. Dover the place that just keeps giving.