real time web analytics
Report - - Gressingham Farm Pump House, Suffolk : October 2023 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Gressingham Farm Pump House, Suffolk : October 2023

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

JakeV50

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Gressingham Farm Pump House

A local one this, not much to it but the engine is beautiful and report worthy itself.

Another evening spent scouring various maps and websites, found several possible points of interest, one of them being this one. Unlike the other pumps regularly found, this isn’t owned by Anglian Water, Fenland IDB or any other organization, it was most likely constructed by the farm to assist with drainage on the land. Looking on older OS maps, there was a windmill very close to where this pump stands today. Checking 1945-1960s OS maps, the windmill shows up as disused, so I suspect this pump house was constructed around then.

There are pipes coming out either end of the pump house, the ones I followed lead to a small dried-up pit. The other end goes towards the river Waveney.

The sources of both the river Waveney and Little Ouse river are in this location also. The water starts flowing from a ditch very close to the building, the Waveney flowing East, while the Little Ouse flows west.

The main attraction to this station is the beautiful Lister CE two-cylinder diesel engine which remains in the building. It looks in remarkably good condition. I couldn’t find an exact build date for the engine but believe it was 1946. The engine runs at 900rpm and produces 12hp. There was no pump present, but there were a few sections of pipe with various valves dumped in the corner.

It was easy enough to get to. Parking on the side of the road and following a small track on foot. Total walking time of just under 10 minutes. The only issue I had was dragging along a very hung over partner with me at 10am on a Sunday to see it. Don’t think she shared my enthusiasm that day....

IMG_2499.jpg

IMG_2461.jpg

IMG_2467.jpg

IMG_2469.jpg

IMG_2463.jpg

IMG_2494.jpg

IMG_2468.jpg

The pipes and parts of the original pump in the corner

IMG_2496.jpg

IMG_2502.jpg

Finishing up with some detail shots of the engine

IMG_2471.jpg

IMG_2474.jpg

IMG_2486.jpg

IMG_2493.jpg

IMG_2491.jpg

IMG_2498.jpg

tigger

mog
Regular User
Another beauty and good to see it documented.
Manufcaturers plate shows it to be a CS not a CE and as such a little older. I'd also suggest this wasn't it's original location and the building later than your guess.

JakeV50

28DL Regular User
Regular User
I didn't think the CS was a Lister model. I done some basic research and this one came back to a CE all be a very early model of it?
Another beauty and good to see it documented.
Manufcaturers plate shows it to be a CS not a CE and as such a little older. I'd also suggest this wasn't it's original location and the building later than your guess.

tigger

mog
Regular User
I didn't think the CS was a Lister model. I done some basic research and this one came back to a CE all be a very early model of it?
The CS was a Lister model but otherwise you were right and I was wrong...it IS a CE.
Supplied to Chas Kinnell in London (they had two foundries and mainly produced sewer pipes and manhole covers) in 1946

missjay

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I used to live nearby this pump house and there used to be another engine and pump in there, no clue what they was but it was like a big truck engine and big pump. I used to work at a nearby place and walked home across the fields past it, if it rained I used to take shelter inside.

JakeV50

28DL Regular User
Regular User
I used to live nearby this pump house and there used to be another engine and pump in there, no clue what they was but it was like a big truck engine and big pump. I used to work at a nearby place and walked home across the fields past it, if it rained I used to take shelter inside.
Oh wow that's cool! Certain people used to use old diesel lorry engines to power pumps so there's a good chance it may be one of those.